Weird otto behaviour?

1. C

CherryBarb123 Valued Member Member

Is it normal for ottos to "suck" on the side of other fish? One of my ottos has been chasing my cories around the tank trying to get on the side of the cories. When he does, he attaches himself to them and swims around on them, meanwhile the cories are racing around trying to get them off

They are definatly ottos and not CAEs, so why on earth are they doing this?

Hope this made sense.

Has anyone else experienced this? This has happened with previous ottos in a previous tank trying to get to danios and platies.

Thanks

2. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Mine have never done that, but I've read that they'll do that if they're lacking sufficient food. Do they have plenty of algae to eat?

3. OP
    OP
    C

They have LOADS of algae to eat. Their diet is supplemented with veggies, which they take and they will occasionally nibble at algae wafers. Their tummies are rounded (but not swollen) so they seem to be getting enough food.

4. macifire

macifire Valued Member Member

Are you sure they're actually grazing on the algae?

5. OP
    OP
    C

The almost definatly do graze on the algae

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It is not natural for them in a healthy environment...... if you have algae, I'm not sure what the issue might be.

7. OP
    OP
    C

I have only noticed it today, while the cories were eating bloodworms. The otto was being inquisitve and started chasing the cories around :confused:

8. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

So, are you sure the oto wasn't after a bloodworm?

9. OP
    OP
    C

That would make sense. I never thought ottos would try to eat them, but one of them was attempting to eat one on the sand.