Weird molly, tb?

1. m

m50 Valued Member Member

endlercollector

I know your very busy but if you could cast your eye over this obe please.

This male molly may be an inbred as all 6 that are in tank are breeding but not getting pregnant.

He has always liked sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Any guppies that have been put in the same tank have died within 3 weeks, although all guppies were from same batch so may of been bad. Guppies have died from fin rot, prolapsed womb, internal bleeding etc.

I noticed the tail looks to bend up a bit but cant remember if its always been like this.

Any idea if tb or inbred? He has always been a sinker and swims at 45 degrees always.

Do I euthanase, close down tank?

Also what can it do to humans? I know it can make cuts go funny but anything else?

It doesnt seem to have bent back, just the fin part of tail. Eats fine etc

Many thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1407269241077.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1407269247179.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1407269253186.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1407269258520.jpg

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If he's not acting sick, why are you worried? o_O If his tail has always been like that he likely has scoliosis and there's nothing you can do about it.

3. OP
    OP
    m

m50 Valued Member Member

Its just seeing so much about tb lately got be thinking.

Ill look into scoliosis but that also sounds bad.

He seems quite happy and has been like it from 8ish months old. Probably just paranoid of the worst.

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Scoliosis is just a curvy spine. It's a genetic deformity, not contagious, will not affect your other fish. If he's not acting sick, he does not have mycobacteria, trust me. When fish get mycos, they become severely stressed and very ill.

5. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

Looks like scoliosis to me. I had a platy girl who's spine was S shaped. She lived for about a year but unfortunately died from ich :/

If i was you then i wouldn't be worried! A happy fish is a healthy fish so to speak :)

6. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

m50, there has been a lot of talk about Myco (TB) lately, but necessary, this does not mean that your fish are suffering effects of this bacteria. I agree with junebug, if your fish are swimming nice and happy, I would assume your fish just has a deformed spine not related to TB. Sudden death is one of the described symptoms of TB, but sudden death can be caused by many other things as well, so dont worry too much. Best of luck.

7. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

The guppies are very likely suffering from mycobacteriosis, but the Molly is a mystery. If you did not notice that he had scoliosis as a fry, then he may have scoliosis that set in later, which is always suspicious when mycobacteria are about. However, since he has always liked sitting on the bottom of the tank, that just may be his particular build.

What is of more concern to me is that the other mollies are not getting pregnant as mycobacteriosis can keep livebearers from reproducing successfully. The weight of not knowing is difficult as people will tell you that fry often get eaten without fish keepers ever finding out.

Living without a clear diagnosis is very tough, especially if you are experiencing extreme stress with sick and dying fish. All I can tell you is that you should go with what gives your fish and you peace.

For myself, if a tank is not spiraling out of control, then I just euthanize the sicker ones and stay on top of water parameters for the others. Regular culling of sick livebearers can be a real downer and very time-consuming. So if you're not up for that, don't feel pressured to do it.

If you do go with euthanizing the whole tank and restarting, you can try to improve your odds by doing a fishless cycle. It requires time and patience, which is always hard for me because I love seating for an instant cycle. After you have a balanced water situation, go with the healthiest fish you can find. They will not perfectly free of viruses, parasites, or bacteria, but you will have a fighting chance with them.

As for the chance of getting fish TB someday, I have come to the realization that I should always be careful and assume that there are mycobacteria. So I wear gloves in order not to worry too much.