Weird marks on my Danios, might be fungus but honestly not sure

1. Antonr90

Antonr90 New Member Member

Tank Parameters: PH 7.0, Temperature 76F, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate >10PPM

I made a similar post a few days ago, but I really haven't come up with a conclusion as to what this could be. I originally purchased 4 danios, 1 of which was acting odd off the bat and died overnight. The 3 other danios seemed healthy, however one had a weird mark on his dorsal fin. The one with the weird mark ended up acting weird by day 4, and by morning of day 5 he was dead.

I now have 2 danios left, both are acting perfectly fine, eating happily, being very active. However I've noticed white marks appearing on one of the danios. I'm not sure if these are scratches, or possibly some kind of fungus? I've been treating with melafix and primafix for about 4 days now (Started treating when I noticed the white marks). They definitely aren't going away and another white mark popped up on him today (or at least I noticed it today)

dgI3xSLh.jpg
    Click image for fullsize, mark on the left is the new mark, mark on right is the old one.

I'm honestly not sure if this is some kind of fungus, or maybe he's scratching himself accidentally on something inside the tank, clueless at this point. I want to add more danios, so they can actually have a complete school, but I'm not comfortable adding more fish when I don't know where the these marks are coming from.

2. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

Sorry you're having problems with your danios... they are generally considered extremely hardy fish, so something is definitely going on there.

Stop using the current medications.

We can better help you if you tell us what the water chemistry is like in the tank. Do tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate then post back with the numerical values for each.

What is the current temperature setting? Slowly lower the temperature to something that is consistent and comfortable for danio. Warm temps are the perfect breeding grounds for fungal and bacterial illnesses, so lowering the temps very slowly should help slow things down a bit until you get it all cleared up.

Looking at the pictures it looks to be Columnaris. Use both Seachem KanaPlex and API Furan 2 together as treatment. If things do not start looking better after a day or two, then in addition to those two medications start giving them 20 to 30 minute baths in Methylene Blue (do not add this to the tank, it'll kill the cycle and stain everything dark blue).

Make sure you do a healthy water change to remove any previous medications, and also be sure you've removed the carbon in the filter when adding medications.

3. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

Hi Mamajin, thanks for the reply. My tank parameters were posted off the bat, in bold at the top of the post.

I'll try and see if I can locate some kanaplex and furan 2..

4. M

Oh gee lol. The bold text blended right in and my old eyes didn't notice the difference between it and the thread title (also bolded). So sorry about that!!

5. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

No need to apologize! It definitely does blend with the title.

Couldn't find any Furan 2, the only gram negative antibiotics they had was maracyn 2, so I went with that. Will do a water change and begin treatment tonight..

6. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

Well, good news. Seems like the round of Maracyn 2 + salt cured my last 2 living Danios. White spots have faded and healed significantly, Danios are active and eating.

Going to do a 30% PWC tonight, any other precautions I should be taking before adding more fish to the tank. I'd like to add 4-5 more Danios to have a more complete school. I definitely don't want to add any fish prematurely though.

7. M

Add new fish to a quarantine tank before putting them in with your main stock. Observe them for no less than 30 days. This prevents the spread of parasites, diseases, and other nasties to your healthy fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

How large of a quarantine tank would you recommend? I don't particularly have too much room. I could probably fit a 10 gallon, but I'd feel terrible sticking 5 danios into a 10 gallon for a month.

9. M

I have a healthy group of 6 danio and 4 dwarf cory in a 10 gallon tank. That's where they live.

I have two QT's. A 10 gallon I keep cycled, and an uncycled Sterilite Container (5 gallons) that sits in the closet when not in use.

When you get new fish, nine times out of ten they are juveniles and not yet fully grown. Most community fish can temporarily be placed in a 5 or 10 gallon hospital tank, whereas other fish like the larger cichlids may need a 15 to 20 gallon QT.

10. OP
    OP
    Antonr90

Thanks for all the help mamajin, I'll have to pick up a 10g on my way home tonight.