Weird illness

1. pawlmawl Initiate Member

I'm using one of the dip stick colorimetric tests.
    Nitrate- 0-20 in between safe and the first color mark
    Nitirite- "safe"
    Hardness- "300" very hard local water
    Alkalinity- in between 180-300 or ideal and high
    pH-8.0

-I set up my tank for a newt I got during a research project (I'll try and include a picture of the tank.) So I have a little less than half of the tank full of water and I built a platform for Sir Isaac to live on. I initially bought some rosy red minnows thinking he might like to eat them. They were never eaten so I left them there and got some more fish. I recently added two plants using packaged seeds. The tank has been set up with fish and the newt living in it for several months.
    - There are 4 rosy red minnows, 3 albino corys, 3 fancy guppies and 1 sucker fish (placo?) I realize I am over crowding the tank I'm sorry about that, but I found out about the proper numbers after I had done it, and they seem fine.

- I do 25% water change every Friday. I used to remove the fish and wash all the gravel but I read up and know not to do that anymore. So I recently bought a vacuum and have done that once a couple days ago. The vacuuming is still very invasive though, I have to pull out my platform to get everywhere. I also had a lot of calcium build up on the dry part of my tank so I dipped a toothbrush in white vinegar and rubbed it off. I tried to catch any that dripped down towards the water. I have flakes which I use a small pinch of each morning, some bloodwords which are dried out and some algae wafers. I use the flakes primarily and occasionally add a wafer or the worms. (I feed the newt earthworms and meal worms.)

-The tank is 24x12x12 so 15 gallons I believe. I have a TG-20 MEO (D?) filter and a 10 inch linear bubble stone buried in the gravel. There is a very small amount of white very large grain sand on the bottom covered by gravel.

So here is what happened, I found one of the rosy reds lying on the bottom of the tank so I took him out and quarantined him. He was not using his tail fin at all. I asked the pet store guy what he thought and he said it could just be genetic due to the inbreeding of the fish. I accept that may be the answer but I don't want to bet on it at the expense of my other fish. The situation didn't change for a week so I put him down today. The other fish haven't developed anything similar but I have noticed a small white spot on my female guppy so I started ICH treatment two days ago. I now know to take out my carbon filter so besides that and continuing to treat for ICH what should I do about the other weird rosy illness? I also noticed a dark spot inside one of my corys but I read another thread that said it was likely his food, (algae wafer) or that he was becoming more transparent. I don't want to see any more diseases popping up and end up losing everybody. These problems and the revelation that I'm doing a bunch of stuff wrong gave me this impending doom feeling. I find that I really enjoy the fish and I actually spend a lot of time watching them so I don't want them all floating. Thanks for your help and all the info you guys have compiled here.
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. pawlmawl Initiate Member

Anyone? genetic problem? or should I be looking for medicine??

3. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

What are your symtons of your fish? I have also taken some bad advice from pet stores that is why i joined this forum. Do you leave your filters alone and not rinse them unless they are truely nasty? When you rinse them it should only be in tank water that is put in a bucket. You also dont need to change filters every 4 weeks like the package says. They want you to keep giving them money is all. Dont ever change the filter unless it is falling apart and you NEVER want to do a filter change and wc or wipe walls down etc in the same day. You would kill off to much of your bacteria colony. Also API master test kit is the best way to get the most reliable readings.

4. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

You are correct - you are very overstocked.
    You may have a 15 gallon tank, but you're only using half of it - so only 7 gallons (give or take).

I would watch the fish VERY carefully for any sign of ammonia poisoning.

I would not look at medicine - not unless you know what is wrong that you need it for.

5. pawlmawl Initiate Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
    -Fishy, The fish with the symptoms is gone now but it seemed like it was paralyzed halfway down its small side fins worked fin and he seemed fairly calm but layed on his side or moved a little using the little fins. I never saw the tail move at all. I pulled him out and put him in a seperate container and put a little stress coat stuff and ich medicine in there along with the main tank but he didnt recover. He wasnt eating so I put him down this morning. The other fish seem fine except for the white spot on the guppy.
    I know now how wrong I've been but this is what I was doing. I vacuumed the gravel and brushed the algae off the walls and let the filter clear the water then I washed out the filter sponges and shook the carbon cartridge under running water. Then put in new water with some of the stress coat stuff and water conditioner.

Howsmom,
    Thanks I realize that now after reading the info here its counter intuitive since these fish are so small and the tank looks fairly clean. I will read up about ammonia poisoning and see if I recognize any symptoms of that. btw my female guppy was pregnant and then... not pregnant.. but I never saw any babies? I have a turtle filter maybe its too powerful for them?

*I will try and get a bigger tank soon, I'm eyeballing a 50 gallon tank my family has stashed away.

I don't see inflammed gills. The corys will occasionally zip up to the surface and back down, the guppy males stay mid to upper levels and the rosys are usually right near the bottom pecking at things. This is their usual behavior.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Its very possible you have plenty of amonia, strips are usless for the most part, try getting a liquid. Let me say this, YOU ARE OVER STOCKED. Very lucky the pleco is still alive. The fish are dying more then likley as a direct resualt of not having ample filtration,cycle and space. Some fish may become paralyzed if the ram into the side of a hard object. Roseys like to swim in large schools in much more space then they have been provided. What type of ich treatment are you using? Anything but heat or kordon(and a few selendom meds) will certinley harm both the pleco and newt.

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore.

As already stated, you have far too many fish for such a small space. Roughly 7 gallons of water to house 4 rosy red minnows, 3 albino corys, 3 fancy Guppies and 1 pleco. Only the guppies belong in such a small space.

In addition to test strips being notorious for giving false results, they do not test for ammonia. Without a doubt your water is polluted with ammonia. The best thing you can do for your fish is to either rehome them or to set up that 50G tank you mentioned, and sooner than later before other fish become so stressed they end up with disease.

In order to give your fish a fighting chance, you should be doing the largest possible water change (90% or more) without removing the fish. Further this water change will need to be done both morning and repeated in the evening using a good water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime or Kordon AmQuel+ with NovAqua+. These water conditioners will make the water safe for fish in addition to helping the slime coat and detoxing waste buildup (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

If you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the My Settings button at the top of this page, and select Edit Aquarium Info. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

Best of luck.

8. pawlmawl Initiate Member

I haven't had any fish die, I put the paralyzed one down, but I hear you! I'll have to try and get that other tank. I'm using Kordon Ich attack "herbal formula."

I'll try and get all that done. Thanks for the help.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

well thank goodness for kordon.