Weird illness. Help would be appreciated!

1. nickagga Initiate Member

Hey guys, I've been dealing with a weird illness that has me completely stumped. First it was a glowlight tetra. All of a sudden, overnight from what I remember, I noticed he couldn't swim properly. At first I thought it was swim bladder, but after a day in a hospital tank, he lost his colour and his eyes started bulging outwards. He wasn't able to swim much at all, so I had to euthanise. It was horrible. I figured it was a one-off because a couple of months later everything was fine. But I noticed my Scissortail Rasbora with the exact same symptoms. The other fish were picking on him which I thought was odd, but obviously they knew he was sick. I moved him to the hospital tank and I'm now at work wondering what to do. Any help would be appreciated!

His symptoms: loss of colour, bulging eyes and can't swim properly.

I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste the diagnostic questions, but the tank is fully cycled, it's a 3 foot tank, around 130 litres. No ammonia or nitrite, nitrate is around 5-10ppm. Did a water change only two days ago.

The rest of the fish seem totally fine, but I'll keep and eye on them.

2. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

I am just learning the ins and outs of fish diseases as well but it sounds like pop-eye which I believe is a symptom of a bacterial infection.

What else is in the tank?

Hopefully someone else will come along and be more helpful!

3. axel Well Known Member Member

seems like "popeye" to me..
    Lacking eyelids, fish eyes are easily damaged by clumsy handling. Take care to avoid using coarse or abrasive fish nets, and ideally use fish nets to drive fish into plastic containers rather than for netting them directly.
    Fish are most likely to damage their eyes when alarmed, commonly by bumping into abrasive rocks or into the walls or hood of the aquarium. Some fish are more nervous than others, and care should be taken not to mix jumpy fish species with boisterous or aggressive fish species.
    Turning on the aquarium lights can cause nervous fish to jump or thrash about and injure themselves in the process. In a room that receives morning sunlight, this may not be much of an issue, but in dark rooms be sure to turn the room lights on a few minutes before switching on the aquarium lights. Do the reverse at night, leaving the room lights on for a few minutes after turning the aquarium lights off.
    Popeye can be prevented simply by providing fish with a healthy aquarium environment and by taking steps to minimize the risk of physical damage.