Weird growth on silicone tubing and sealant in recently cycled tank Help 

crazyhorse

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have just finished cycling a new tank using the fishless cycling method. Ammonia reading zero. Nitrite 0. I have still not introduced fish, and have been feeding the tank with a little (about 1ppm) ammonia (every 2nd day) to keep the biological filter working.

This morning I noticed some wierd white/brown dots all over the silicone in the tank - both edge seals and air tubing. See attached 3 photos (one of the air intake tube, one of the side edge sealant, and one of the empty tank showing clear water). The bacteria/fungus/mold did come off a test area when I tried using a cotton bud, but that left white flakes floating in the water afterwards.

Any ideas as to what this is? And what to do?

Attachments

plec2010

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hiya my name is shane the growth looks similer to a fungy but not to sure if u would like me to i could do a bit of research for u to find out more

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Look like diatoms to me, especially the second picture, but I could be incorrect. It could also be bacteria cultures.

plec2010

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that makes sence tototime

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!!!!! CONGRATS on a fishless cycle....awesome job!~
I also agree its diatoms..and it will get more brown ....diatoms is a new tank type of algae that doesnt hurt things just is awful to look at...wiping it off or ignoring it, are a few options...it can come and go for up to a year in some tanks....the tank looks great though!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads