Weird Grey Stuff in Tank??

Goghtherosetail

I feel like i constantly have questions so I am so sorry for all the posts but I've been asking around and no one can tell me what this is in my tank. I have a betta in a 5 gallon tank thats currently starting to cycle (dosed my tank with Stability 9/7-9/14) with live plants and this problem has only occurred since i have planted my plants on the 9th. it almost looks like dust, but no matter how hard I clean it, it always comes back. it is also in my gravel substrate and I have no idea what it is. my lid has a mesh cover over the hole (I have a Fluval Spec V so I modded the lid to prevent cat hair to fly in) so I doubt its dust but I also am unsure. my betta and plants are thriving so it doesn't bother them but it bugs me that I can't find the answer for whats happening. I appreciate all and any help! also thank you for always answering my questions and helping me! as a first time betta keeper, there has been lots to learn and I'm grateful for everyone's knowledge and advice ❤

water parameters:
ammonia: 0.25 ppm
nitrite: 0.25 ppm
nitrate: 0 ppm
last water change was yesterday (been on a 4 day water change to monitor ammonia levels)

Attachments

kallililly1973

Could just be the substrate seein it started happening after u planted.

DanielZebra32798

Hello, I'm not 100 percent certain, but I do know things similar to this appear in new aquariums all the time. Ive had it happen particularly strong in one of my new aquariums a while back. It could be some type of diatoms, but I wouldn't worry too much regardless, I'm sure itll clear up as your tank settles in.

Goghtherosetail

kallililly1973 said:
Could just be the substrate seein it started happening after u planted.
that's what I was thinking as well, but then I remembered that I didn't have this problem when it was just silk plants. once I put in my 3 java ferns and 2 crypts in, it started to be an issue. it could be maybe diatoms from the tank cycling (it looks closest to it when i image searched on Google) but I just am unsure because no one else has had a guess thank you for your input

DanielZebra32798 said:
Hello, I'm not 100 percent certain, but I do know things similar to this appear in new aquariums all the time. Ive had it happen particularly strong in one of my new aquariums a while back. It could be some type of diatoms, but I wouldn't worry too much regardless, I'm sure itll clear up as your tank settles in.
I figured it could possibly be diatoms because they have that weird color and fuzzy look, and matched an image when I Google searched diatoms to cross check what was going on in my tank. it just drives me nuts seeing it but its not affecting my betta or plants so thankfully it's nothing too bad! let's hope you're right and it's just from the tank being new its been happening for a week and my ammonia started to spike Wednesday. thank you for commenting and for your input i appreciate it

kallililly1973

If it rubs off the surfaces and kinda dissipates in the water than it is most likely diatoms. You could also get a turkey baster and try to blow it off the surfaces wit that and the filter should eventually pick up the remnants if there are any left.

Goghtherosetail

kallililly1973 said:
If it rubs off the surfaces and kinda dissipates in the water than it is most likely diatoms. You could also get a turkey baster and try to blow it off the surfaces wit that and the filter should eventually pick up the remnants if there are any left.
I always attempt to use the turkey baster I have to trap it in the water so I can look at it and it just seems to disappear no matter what I do or how gently I am about it. They just blow away when I do that and I know the filter picks it up but it just seems to always come back no matter how hard I clean it lol. Diatoms go away on their own after a period of time right? There is nothing more I have to do other than monitor them and allow it to happen since its a sign of a tank cycling. Thank you for your input and help!! :)

TeeJay89

Since you added the live plants, do you also use a type of liquid fertilizer? I know when I started using one, the one I had started to leave specks of stuff all over too and it caused a huge algae bloom. Just wondering!

Goghtherosetail

TeeJay89 said:
Since you added the live plants, do you also use a type of liquid fertilizer? I know when I started using one, the one I had started to leave specks of stuff all over too and it caused a huge algae bloom. Just wondering!
I actually didn't fertilize my plants until this past Sunday! I added .5 ml of Seachem Flourish and so far it hasn't caused issues for me. the diatoms (i think that's what they are) are starting to go away since I've been disrupting them and letting the filter catch it. I also have been changing the water every 4 days since I'm at the part of the nitrogen cycle where the ammonia spikes. That's horrible it caused an algae bloom though! Hopefully it wasn't too bad to clean and fix though!! :(

Top Bottom