Weird Greenish/brown Algae And Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleymendez94

Valued Member
Reaction score
My parameters are fine 0 nitrites 0 ammonia and >10 nitrates. I do have a light on 8-10hrs for the live plants. Some plant leaves are dying off, and I pick them out every so often. The algea and bubbles are on about anything. (Plants and rock mostly)

07de6a6cf41e37f2a89c7d0ae103fd69.jpg
8d8730b2295bdfbea10deea7efa1f119.jpg
39cd469aa39a320a7ef314adccc6c3bf.jpg
c847f6deca1db89108c5a0998abb6a74.jpg

haleymendez94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Idk, I researched that a little bit and I'm not positive that's what it is.

Anyone out there??

Last edited by a moderator:

KarainSD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also agree that it is cyanobacteria (also referred to as blue green algae) I believe that cyanobacteria has a distinctive/ icky smell- might be a way to make a definite ID- if it doesn't stink, then it may not be cyanobacteria.

haleymendez94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay, is cyano harmful? What can I do to rid of it?

I just finally recieved my co2 kit and have it at about 20 bpm. Before, I was dosing with seachem liquid co2 u til it arrived, but then I had this huge bloom take over my tank. This stuff is pretty thick!

I was also dosing algea eliminator to help cease the growth, but it didnt do anything at all.

KarainSD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Cyanobacteria is not algae- it's bacteria. I've not had to deal with this, but I believe that it will eventually start to kill your fish if allowed to reach high enough concentrations. There are several resources online that explain how to get rid it, again I haven't had to deal with this though, so I can't really say what works.

haleymendez94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cyanobacteria is not algae- it's bacteria. I've not had to deal with this, but I believe that it will eventually start to kill your fish if allowed to reach high enough concentrations. There are several resources online that explain how to get rid it, again I haven't had to deal with this though, so I can't really say what works.
Well, I've had my nose stuck in research all day of how to get rid of this stuff.

I started by putting in an aerator since cyano doesn't like movement and the added oxygen supposedly helps?

I also am turning the co2 off for a few days as well as limiting my finnex fugeray planted plus light to only 6-7 hrs instead of 10 hrs.

I'm holding off on adding Seachem Flourish Trace and Seachem Flourish Potassium.

Hopefully this will deprive the cyano from any favorable conditions.

KarainSD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck - Hope it's all gone soon!! sounds like nasty stuff, from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 9 37.5%

Top Bottom