Weird !!!! Gourami spiting water at surface !!!!!

lili70
Ok, that's it! I knew I have crazy fishes but that's too much.
One of the gourami is going to surface and spiting like from a hose water out of the water surface ... like 1-2 cm high ....
This little gourami is doing it :
194.jpg
I'll take pictures of it because she is doing it after meals ....
What's wrong with those anabantoids : my betta girls are killers and now the gourami is spraying water .... God help me.
I'll apreciate if you can tell me what is this behaviour.
Thanks.
L

Kevin
i've seen fish called archer fish do this, in the wild, they will shoot water at bugs flying above them knocking them into the water where they can eat it...but i've never seen or heard of a gourami doing this...guess you do have weird fish

lili70
I googled the "spitting/spiting" and I found few other puzzled guys like me with spitting gouramis.... well, I told you, I have crazy fishes.

wolfman21
That's very intteresting, I've never heard of Gouramis doing that. I know they will blow bubbles like they are making a bubble nest, but I've never heard of them spitting water like that.

lili70
They spit for flakes. I gave them a lot of frozen food but they still like flakes and for flakes ..... they spit (one of them and the other just make a splashing sound). The guy from the store called this aggressive feeding ....
I don't know what am I doing ..... the betta girls are jumping out of water for food, the gourami spit and you should see the frogs chewing on the droper. I feed them twice a day: one meal frozen ane meal dry. The girls from the betta section told me that my fishes looks too fat and I should cut it down a little.
Soooo complicated .....
L

jack11
Becasue the gourami are labrynth fish the go to the surface alot, my gourami do something similar but they don't spit they just seem to blow air.

Jack

Kevin
here is that archer fish I was talking about
pretty cool, is this what your dwarf gouramis do?

lili70
I cannot see the pic but it's a clear stream of water, not bubbles .... spitting. She is doing that when the flakes are almost gone and she is still hungry like hunting from flies.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• jinjerJOSH22
  • Gourami
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Dadpants33
Replies
Views
12Cin12