Weird Goldfish Behavior

Sarah1230ox

Active Member
Member
Messages
477
Reaction score
105
Location
United kingdom
Experience
1 year
My tank is 90 litres, I have two small fantails with some other fish (yes I know the tank will need to be upgraded and bigger for the goldfish) its been up and running for around 6/7 months now. No problem, everything fine and healthy but today I came.home and one goldfish was sitting on the bottom gills were.opening fast and wide and kept.opening its mouth I think it's female, belly looks.bloated and she is sitting on the bottom with her belly and bottom of the ground? I wondered if she could be going to lay eggs but she's still doing this....could it be swim bladder? Thanks.
IMG_20190415_180231.jpg
IMG_20190415_180601.jpg


Also the first thing I did was check my levels ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20
 

Attachments

happyscrub

Active Member
Member
Messages
122
Reaction score
33
Is it swimming at all? Is it eating? If you put your hand or something in there to scare it a little bit, does it swim fine then?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Active Member
Member
Messages
477
Reaction score
105
Location
United kingdom
Experience
1 year
happyscrub said:
Is it swimming at all? Is it eating? If you put your hand or something in there to scare it a little bit, does it swim fine then?
Occasionally swims around yes and seems ok. I tried to catch her in a net and she swam fast...she ate this morning but she was fine then. I only feed them once a day so don't know if she will eat now.
 

happyscrub

Active Member
Member
Messages
122
Reaction score
33
Sarah1230ox said:
Occasionally swims around yes and seems ok. I tried to catch her in a net and she swam fast...she ate this morning but she was fine then. I only feed them once a day so don't know if she will eat now.
Well I doubt it's swim bladder.
 

happyscrub

Active Member
Member
Messages
122
Reaction score
33
Could be just staying at the bottom cause the temperature is getting warmer. Is the climate getting warmer where you live? Did you not run your heater much during the winter? Are you barely running your A/C? What's the temperature of the water? What kind of filter do you have? Is it high or low flow? Is it dirty to where the flow has slowed down?

The water is colder at the bottom. Colder water has more oxygen. Goldfish are big body fish and need lots of oxygen.... so a lot like to chill at the bottom. Higher flow puts more oxygen in the water if that's a concern for you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Active Member
Member
Messages
477
Reaction score
105
Location
United kingdom
Experience
1 year
happyscrub said:
Could be just staying at the bottom cause the temperature is getting warmer. Is the climate getting warmer where you live? Did you not run your heater much during the winter? Are you barely running your A/C? What's the temperature of the water? What kind of filter do you have? Is it high or low flow? Is it dirty to where the flow has slowed down?

The water is colder at the bottom. Colder water has more oxygen. Goldfish are big body fish and need lots of oxygen.... so a lot like to chill at the bottom. Higher flow puts more oxygen in the water if that's a concern for you.
Yeah its starting to get warmer. We had are heating on alot. the water temp is 21c. I have two internal filters running with a high flow.on both I also have an.air pump connected to a stone for more oxygen.yeah bluey has.always been one to spend time at the bottom it's just the fact with her bum and belly in the air and opening her.mouth alot.I'm worried

So today bluey is still alive, and looking for food but it seems she can't suck in food, could there be something stuck in the back of her mouth?!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
249
Guests online
3,065
Total visitors
3,314

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom