Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Weird Goldfish Behavior

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Sarah1230ox, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Sarah1230oxValued MemberMember

My tank is 90 litres, i have two small fantails with some other fish (yes i know the tank will need to be upgraded and bigger for the goldfish) its been up and running for around 6/7 months now. No problem, everything fine and healthy but today i came.home and one goldfish was sitting on the bottom gills were.opening fast and wide and kept.opening its mouth i think it's female, belly looks.bloated and she is sitting on the bottom with her belly and bottom of the ground? I wondered if she could be going to lay eggs but she's still doing this....could it be swim bladder? Thanks. IMG_20190415_180231.jpgIMG_20190415_180601.jpg

Also the first thing i did was check my levels ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019
  2. happyscrubValued MemberMember

Is it swimming at all? Is it eating? If you put your hand or something in there to scare it a little bit, does it swim fine then?

3. Sarah1230oxValued MemberMember

Occasionally swims around yes and seems ok. I tried to catch her in a net and she swam fast...she ate this morning but she was fine then. I only feed them once a day so don't know if she will eat now.

4. happyscrubValued MemberMember

Well I doubt it's swim bladder.

5. Sarah1230oxValued MemberMember

So what could it be? im.worried im.going to wake.up and bluey will be dead :(

6. happyscrubValued MemberMember

Could be just staying at the bottom cause the temperature is getting warmer. Is the climate getting warmer where you live? Did you not run your heater much during the winter? Are you barely running your A/C? What's the temperature of the water? What kind of filter do you have? Is it high or low flow? Is it dirty to where the flow has slowed down?

The water is colder at the bottom. Colder water has more oxygen. Goldfish are big body fish and need lots of oxygen.... so a lot like to chill at the bottom. Higher flow puts more oxygen in the water if that's a concern for you.

7. Sarah1230oxValued MemberMember

Yeah its starting to get warmer. We had are heating on alot. the water temp is 21c. i have two internal filters running with a high flow.on both i also have an.air pump connected to a stone for more oxygen.yeah bluey has.always been one to spend time at the bottom it's just the fact with her bum and belly in the air and opening her.mouth alot.I'm worried

So today bluey is still alive, and looking for food but it seems she can't suck in food, could there be something stuck in the back of her mouth?!

8. Sarah1230oxValued MemberMember

Incase interested bluey is back to normal