Weird "fungus?" On Top Of Tank?

SilverLoachRam

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reactions
18
HI there, first here is water params.

Temp 78
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0-10ppm

So, when I first started cycling this tank about 6 weeks ago, I had started cycling with fish food as I've done for all my past tanks. I saw this fungus stuff on top. I read up and found very little info but I came to it as a type of fungus that forms during cycling and feeds of the ammonia from the fish food. It was supposedly not able to feed off of the aquarium ammonia solution meant for cycling so I got all food out removed water until it went away and semi-continued/restarted my cycle with the aquarium ammonia. Yesterday after having my LFS quarantine my two ABF (African butterfly fish) for 4 weeks I added them to the tank. I tried feeding, one immediately ate pellets and blood worms but the other wasn't interested, which is normal. I got a few bloodworms and pellets that fell to the bottom out with a net. There was MAYBE ONE little bloodworm on the bottom that I missed when looking around and making sure I got all the food.

I was wondering if this fungus will hurt my new ABF and if there is treatment for it. I have no idea what the actually scientific name of the fungus is I just saw descriptions and pictures of it that looked very similar. I have attached some pics, it's very hard to see in s but it almost looks like old flake food on the surface of the water.

Thanks for any help you can give.
 

Attachments

Faytaya

Active Member
Member
Messages
400
Reactions
167
Location
Kettering, Ohio
Experience
Just started
That is biofilm, and it's a pretty good indicator you need more surface agitation. Harmless as it is right now, but if it gets thick enough it'll interrupt O2 and CO2 exchange in your water. Its caused by bacteria in the water, don't worry about killing it. An airstone and a decent filter or surface skimmer will fix the problem asap.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
S

SilverLoachRam

New Member
Member
Messages
30
Reactions
18
Faytaya said:
That is biofilm, and it's a pretty good indicator you need more surface agitation. Harmless as it is right now, but if it gets thick enough it'll interrupt O2 and CO2 exchange in your water. Its caused by bacteria in the water, don't worry about killing it. An airstone and a decent filter or surface skimmer will fix the problem asap.
Okay thank you. I have a filter rated for a 100 gallon tank on it right now, I pointed the power head down because I thought it might disrupt the butterfly fish, but I'll add two air stones in a little bit. And adjust the inflow exit towards the surface more.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
226
Guests online
3,190
Total visitors
3,416

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom