Weird Floating Black Things?

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve seen them a few times before and didn’t think much of it so I just threw them out but I’d like to finally get an answer as to what they are. I only see one every few months and they just float on the top of the tank. It’s no larger than a fingernail and looks like it’s been pressed shut on one side. I cracked this one open and an awful smell came out of it and some nasty looking stuff. This is probably the third one I’ve seen since April

Attachments

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like an egg sac from something like roaches. I had them in my substrate from it being outside in garbage bags for a few years.

OP
E

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MrBryan723 said:
That looks like an egg sac from something like roaches. I had them in my substrate from it being outside in garbage bags for a few years.
Are they harmful to my water? I have no idea where they would be laying these unless the roaches are actually getting into my filters because everything in my tank was bought new and they randomly show up.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a real possibility. They like damp dark places and can get into them from the vents on the top of your filter. They are harmful as much as any biomatter would be but since they're in the case probably not really.

OP
E

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
mattgirl said:
Are you sure it isn't a dead snail? Some of them do float once dead and dead ones do smell pretty bad.
I don’t think it could be, as there is no opening like a shell. I don’t have any in my tank and I have never introduced any either.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
esims12 said:
I don’t think it could be, as there is no opening like a shell. I don’t have any in my tank and I have never introduced any either.
Some snails do have what is referred to as a trap door but if you don't have any snails in your tank then what you are seeing isn't a dead one.

OP
E

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep that’s it, I’m just trying to figure out where they are laying them now.

New Threads