Weird Floating Black Things?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by esims12, Jul 18, 2019.

1. esims12

esims12New MemberMember

I’ve seen them a few times before and didn’t think much of it so I just threw them out but I’d like to finally get an answer as to what they are. I only see one every few months and they just float on the top of the tank. It’s no larger than a fingernail and looks like it’s been pressed shut on one side. I cracked this one open and an awful smell came out of it and some nasty looking stuff. This is probably the third one I’ve seen since April

Attached Files:

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

That looks like an egg sac from something like roaches. I had them in my substrate from it being outside in garbage bags for a few years.

3. OP
    OP
    esims12

esims12New MemberMember

Are they harmful to my water? I have no idea where they would be laying these unless the roaches are actually getting into my filters because everything in my tank was bought new and they randomly show up.

4. MrBryan723

That's a real possibility. They like damp dark places and can get into them from the vents on the top of your filter. They are harmful as much as any biomatter would be but since they're in the case probably not really.

5. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Are you sure it isn't a dead snail? Some of them do float once dead and dead ones do smell pretty bad.

6. OP
    OP
    esims12

esims12New MemberMember

I don’t think it could be, as there is no opening like a shell. I don’t have any in my tank and I have never introduced any either.

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Some snails do have what is referred to as a trap door but if you don't have any snails in your tank then what you are seeing isn't a dead one. :)

8. MrBryan723

9. OP
    OP
    esims12

esims12New MemberMember

Yep that’s it, I’m just trying to figure out where they are laying them now.