Weird Fish Behaviour

1. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

My fish have been acting weird. I have 8 platys in a 37 gallon. They started off in this tank, then I moved them to a 10 gallon while I finished cycling, which was done last Thursday. I changed my water and then moved them back into the 37 G yesterday. Pretty quickly I noticed a lot of aggression in the 37 G. I do have one male that was a bit of a bully previously when I had 4 but once I increased the numbers he levelled out. Most of them are acting aggressively today, even female to female. I've also seen a bit of flashing.

My first thought was water quality but I've been testing every 12 hours since I moved them in and get the same results: 0/0/20-40 (I changed my water last night and again this afternoon to get the nitrate levels down to 10-20. I'm going to change some out again tonight). PH is 7.4.

Any thoughts? I didn't notice this behaviour in the 10 gallon but it was very densely planted. While they were in the 10 gallon, I did some changes to the 37 gallon. I did add a piece of Fluval mopani driftwood which was soaked for 10 days and then boiling water poured over and soaked. I also changed my substrate from gravel to black sand.

Should I be alarmed or is it just the stress of the move?

2. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Your post is kind of confusing. Are the platys showing aggression in the 37 gallon or the 10 gallon?

3. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

They were in the 10 gallon for 3 weeks while I switched to a fishless cycle. They were fine there. Now that I've moved them back to the 37 gallon i see the aggression.

4. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

It sounds like it might be an illness called fishbeingjerks. If it gets too bad put the bully in the 10G for a timeout. Doesn't always work but worth a try.

5. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Lol :) they're almost all being jerks though! My poor red wag, who is usually quite confident, is hiding in the back, fins clamped.

6. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I'll just be happy if you don't lose many after the extended cycling ordeal they have been through. It may take awhile for them to work through the pecking order thing.

7. popsikle Initiate Member

lol, i hate that illness.

8. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I think that's why it's bugging me they're acting off today. They've done so well with no loses (minus the fry that keep getting eaten). They finally get stable water and now they seem off.

9. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

While fishbeingjerks can be fatal, it often resolves itself after a few days in a new tank.

10. popsikle Initiate Member

I change in tank size could cause the aggression while mating pairs settle down. Should resolve in a few days or a week.

11. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

It appears to be from the stress of being moved and different water . As mentioned give it some time.

12. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I really have to stop cracking up about this.

13. popsikle Initiate Member

I dunno, i read this to my wife, she calls my fish hobby "dumb" all the time and she laughed, so i think its ok to keep laughing about it...

14. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Hopefully that's all it is, just the move. They all look healthy and are eating like little piggies, even the ones hiding. They also unclamp while eating.

15. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

The last time I cycled with fish all but one survived, and then a few randomly died shortly after tank was cycled. Doesn't mean this will happen to you but it's undeniable they go through a rough time with parameters swinging. Keep your parameters right now and don't stress it too much Tara. This is supposed to be fun and you've been through enough. Soon you'll have a mature tank and things will go smooth if you QT and are careful where you get your fish.

16. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

Oh that's interesting, I thought once I was done cycling I was in the clear. I'll just keep an eye on the parameters and hope for the best. :)

17. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Fish take a beating during cycle. Whether they survive it or not it is stressful and the effects last awhile.. Once I got a test kit I switched to fishless cycles immediately.

18. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

My red wag is still hiding, clamping and didn't eat this morning. Should us I move her to my other tank or will moving her yet again stress her out more?

Attached Files:

19. KimberlyG Well Known Member Member

I would give her one more day.
    Is she being chased or bullied, or is she simply hiding? She looks a little bloated and not in a pregnant way. It could just be the picture.

20. Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

She's being chased. I have one fish who isn't leaving her alone. I'll give her Another day.

She may be bloated. She's always been bigger and has had fry. I sometimes wonder if she's pregnant or bloated, but she usually acts fine normally. I've had her for 4.5 months. Here's another pic of her, not sure if it helps.

Attached Files: