weird disease on 2 cherry barbs

cherrybarbboi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hi, in the past about three or four months I have had two fish die of a disease I cannot identify. they were both cherry barbs. my tank has been cycled for 2 years now and the parameters are perfect. ammonia and nitritees at 0 ppm and nitrates at about 10. this is a ten gallon tank that currently has 2 cherry barbs, 2 black neon tetras and 1 glowfish. also, the ph is safe at about 7.2

what ive observed about this disease is that first, the cherry barb will develop some sort of white thing growing on its head. its deffinetly not ick because its a big cluster and its only on the top of its head. after maybe a month the fish will slowly grow weaker and weaker. eventually its back will start arching up and the fish will look kind of out of shape. then slowly the fish will die.

none of my fish currently have this and the 2 that have had this have both been cherry barbs. as I stated earlier they both have past away. I'm wondering what this disease might be and how I can prevent it. I don't think its a parasite (though I could be deffinently wrong) because I have put the sick fish in a hospital tank once they started having the arched back and hardly being able to move. I would guess the parasite would come out when the fish died and being that they both were in the hospital tank at separate times, the parasite must have died because it couldnt have found a new host. any ideas would be great. thanks

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello CherryBarbBoi,

Here is a link (please note GRAPHIC photos of fish disease) that may help you to diagnose what is going on. It sounds like some type of fungus.
https://www.jbl.de/de/online-hospital

Let's see what other responses you receive.
Best of luck!
Ken

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's a good site Ken....thx

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads