Weird Deadly Illnesses In My Bettas Help

1. Elemental Initiate Member

So Just 4 hours ago my White Platinum HM Dumbo Ear Male has passed away after a few days of throwing up his food and being very lethargic and laying at the bottom of his tank, and I couldn't see anything wrong with him! Until he very sadly passed today I took an in depth look at him and I saw something so disgusting. I flipped him over to see layers of scale and tissue(or whatever is under there scales) missing all the way to his stomach and his stomach was Dark Black, and the second strange thing that happened 6 months ago is that I had an all white Female with red fins and one morning I woke up to play with all my bettas and the first one I checked on was her (And I previously fed them Freeze Dried BloodWorms The Night before) and she was shriveled up and the only thing that wasnt shriveled up was her stomach and it was bulging out of her scales and is was Dark Black. So I was really wanting to know what is going on here I have never seen anything like this before and I dont think I ever want to again. Sorry for the wall of text :p. And please no hate that seems to happen a lot when I go on forums to talk about something wrong with my pets ot ideas I have for them. Thanks :)

-Elemental

2. halljo222 Member Member

The problem may have been that you didn't clean out your tank before getting your next betta and the virus or whatever may have still been living in the tank. Your food could also be of bad quality.

What are your parameters?

3. Elemental Initiate Member

The tank he was in was 5 gallons and the one the female died in was a 0.5 gallon (I know smh I did not have much knowledge of bettas then I should have had her in something bigger. But that was completely sterilized(I poured Boiling hot water in it) And he did stay in that tank for about a week but this was a little over 5 months ago.

4. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Well pouring boiling water in it would kill any bacteria and put you back at square one, so it may have been the buildup of toxins that did him in... need to know the water parameters though. Black stomachs that are ripped open isn't something I've seen before so I'd suspect it's more than just an uncycled tank.

5. Elemental Initiate Member

I dont really know what you mean by water parameters Im pretty new to this whole asking for help with my pets I kind of just taught myself :) but I will tell you what I think you mean the water temp. was 78 degrees F. I use tap water dechlorinators and this PH neutralizer I think it is xD and Im not a filter type of guy so no need to be cycled I just clean it out every 3-7 days I liked to be more interactive with him since i hand tamed him(the water changes where 75% water changes) and the tank has no live plants And there was no algae that I know of growing in the tank besides a bit of hair algae I believe. And thank you guys for helping :p

6. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Whoa.

You need to get a test kit. API freshwater master test kit is what most members use. Knowing what's in your water as far as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph is critical.

You also need a filter - there isn't much of an option to "not be a filter guy", every tank needs to be cycled. Otherwise your fishes' waste builds up and makes them ill. You should never need to drain and clean out a fish tank; that's counterproductive to a healthy tank. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If you click on the words you can read about it - it's essential to understand this concept to keep your fish healthy. It is technically possible to have a working nitrogen cycle without a typical filter, by having the proper substrates and a LOT of live plants, but it's a lot of specifics and a lot of work. Really, you have to get your fish some sort of filter or they will not last long. The swings in parameters (ph chemicals are terrible for this too - stop using the ph stuff and do not attempt to alter your ph unless you have a good reason to), constant moving around for water changes and cleaning, weakened immune response and resulting illnesses from buildup of toxins all will kill fish. I don't want to sound harsh, but these are deplorable living conditions. Luckily you've brought your questions to the right place to get sorted out.

What do you mean when you speak of playing with your bettas, and being interactive with them? Do you touch them? Fish have a delicate slime coat that can be easily damaged, and should not be handled unless absolutely necessary. If you were handling them regularly that could explain any damage to the scales/skin.

7. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Missruthless is 100% correct.

I would just like to add, if cost is prohibitive for you to buy a filter, sponge filters will hold the nitrogen cycle she's speaking about and are very very inexpensive for a five gallon tank, less than $10. Also the API kit, it can be spendy if you don't shop around. If you can get on Amazon they run $22-$25 usually and sponge filters on Amazon are around $5.

Here's links to both on Amazon that would work for your tank.

Sponge filter
    XinYou Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump XY-2821 Amazon.com : XinYou Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump XY-2821 : Pet Supplies

API liquid test kit
    API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT 800-Test Freshwater Aquarium Water Master Test Kit Amazon.com: API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT 800-Test Freshwater Aquarium Water Master Test Kit: Pet Supplies

Ordering from Amazon even if you have to pay shipping will save you money versus buying from any chain store. :) Those two items before any shipping or taxes together would be less than $30, will tremendously improve the health and lifespan of your future fish and save you some heartache of loosing another betta. The test kit is quite reliable and lasts quite a long time. Strips though possibly less expensive are easily tainted and often unreliable.

It sounds as if you do care deeply for your pets. I believe you'd like to do best by them that's why I went ahead and linked you those items. I'd also recommend prior to getting any additional fish you toss any gravel or sand from the tank and sterilize any other decor you have. Also read up on the nitrogen cycle and preferably do a Fishless cycle to have your tank stable and healthy before adding any new fish. Rarely do chain store employees have good advice, come ask us first we'll steer you right. Lastly don't try to adjust your pH anymore especially via chemicals. Post your parameters after you get a test kit and we'd be happy to help you determine if any adjustments are necessary (they rarely are for a betta)

Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Starting The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle - Cycling Without Fish

8. Elemental Initiate Member

When I said I was interactive with him I meant things such as hand feeding and he would swim around my hands rather than swimming away like most bettas and even if I wanted to try touching him then yes he would swim away most likely xD And thsnks for the help guys :) I do also have a filter but no filter cartridge and I will probably have to sadly wait until christmas to ask for these things but then I will come back and tell you guys my water parameters :D my family is a bit poor so thats why I have to wait until christmas adn especially they hate pets and could care less about there well being :/ But thanks for the help I really really appreciate it :D

9. Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

You didn't Cycle the tank, and weren't checking your water parameters?

That's probably you're problem right there. Especially if you weren't doing DAILY water changes.

10. Elemental Initiate Member

But this was a 5 gallon tank Im pretty sure ammonia would not build up that quick and I was told on a different forum daily water changes would really stress out a betta and even kill them! so I never do daily water changes just to be sure they dont die :/ and I have had multiple other betta fish in this tank before so If thats what you mean by cycling it then I guess I did and 1 of my bettas actually lived in that tank for a little over a year with the exact same process and he is still alive, next Im gonna give my tank to this betta fry I hatched the betta pait had a few hundred eggs and the male ate most of them and left me with 5 hatched fry to lay at the bottom 4 where already dead and 1 alive and that 1 fry is still alive and I named him nemo :p maybe if I can convince my parents sooner to get this test kit you guys are talking about he could live a more happy and healthier life :p

11. Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

5 gallons is a very small tank in relativity. Even Cycled tanks of that size are prone to spiking and crashing.

Regarding daily water changes; utter nonsense. If you do 100% daily changes then yes, it could stress the fish to death. But that should not be a necessity.

Before getting another fish, I would recommend learning about the Nitrogen Cycle, putting your tank through it, and getting a Test Kit. Good luck!