Weird Cycle Stall?! Ammonia Down, Nitrate Up, But Nitrite Stuck!!!

Nik902

Reaction score
Hey folks, really need some pointers here.

I'm doing my first fishless cycle with fish flakes, precycled/seeded bio media balls from my LFS, and Nutrafin Cycle (for whatever that's worth). Now I should start by saying I've tested my tap water which reads zero across the board. I'm on day 18 right now, and my ammonia has finally read 0ppm for 3 days in a row. I have nitrates as well at around 40ppm, but my nitrite oddly hasn't budged from 1ppm in 10 days. Is this some sorta' stall? Do I just wait, or should I try a different bottled bacteria? Kind of scratching my head here as to why it won't drop what with the nitrate presence.

Oh, pH is a steady 7.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
do a 50% water change to replenish minerals. then add some more food, try to keep ammonia around 2ppm.

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same thing happened to me, twice. But my nitrites were stuck on a huge spike (reading 5.0 all the time, was definitely higher than that). I was advised to do a 50% water change, I did that and my nitrites maybe came down to 2.0 (cant hardly tell the difference in the colors) but the very next day dark purple again. I waited another week. Still the same thing. I tried a 80% water change (got the nitrites down to like 1.0) ..next day: dark purple again. Now I was on like day 38 and I was frustrated. After reading up, it seemed that my nitrate bacteria couldnt catch up with the nitrite bacteria. So I decided to completely change out the water (it took 3 times of 90% water changes) until I read 0 nitrites. Then I got a bottle of TSS+ and my betta fish and added them both. It took 2 days from there for the tank to be fully cycled and it has been holding steady parameters ever since (about 10 days now). I am not saying what I did worked or that perhaps on day 40 the cycle wouldnt have finished on its own anyway...but all I can say is my cycle finally finished. Moral to the story, nitrite spikes are normal and can stay stuck awhile. I just finally felt like I needed to do something different to get this thing done.

RunsOnCoffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
But I'm already in the nitrate phase is the strange part.
That is what it looked like with me, too. Dosed to 2 ppm ammonia and it would be gone within 12 hours but nitrite stayed high and I would get a solid nitrate reading around 80 or higher. I did water changes when nitrite wouldn't budge. If nitrite got to high I did 50% water changes. Redosed ammonia afterwards to 1ppm and waited without dosing anything until nitrites went down.

One day suddenly nitrite was gone and nitrate even further up. I redosed ammonia to 2 ppm and it all converted into nitrate within 24 hrs.

Sometimes a water change can help if things are stalled. I don't think you are stalled yet, though.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 61 65.6%

Top Bottom