Weird critters in Aquarium water

CelineEden

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I tried to google this but I didn’t really come up with an answer. I just noticed these weird white floating organism on my aquarium glass. They are super tiny and you can barely see them. At first I thought they were some sand particles floating but after closer inspection they are clearly not. Are they worms? Parasites? Fry? Harmful? Harmless?
I have a male betta in said planted 5 gallon tank. Filter and heater (currently at 80 degrees). Plants in aquarium: dwarf hair grass, dwarf water lily, christmas moss on lava rock, elodea, crypt wendtii green, red root floaters and dwarf water lettuce. It has been running for 5 weeks, I’d consider it cycled (I added filter media from my other already established tank). I just did a water change (once a week) and I treat the water with stress coat. Theres also an airstone in it. Water parameters are fine as well, according to my test kit.
I just recently got the hairgrass at pet supermarket since my usual LFS has been out of dwarf hair grass for a while (thanks corona) for another project but it ended up being too big so I put it in my 5 gallon. I also have another 5 gallon who has the same water critters in it but nothing new added plant wise (it’s mostly fake plants with one el niño fern) so it must have been “contaminated” while I did the water changes with the same bucket etc.
I’ve added some pictures of the critters (iphone quality, I’m sorry) and a picture of the whole tank. It looks like there is algea on the glass in the picture but that is just a reflection of the white paper I taped on the back to catch the light of the LED strip on the back. My betta seems to be fine, acting normal and fins look healthy. He’s also eating like a champ.
Any clues on what this is? I was wondering if I should treat the water with aquarium salt but then I’m also worried it will hurt the plants. Also, could it be fry that got caught up in the hairgrass? I’m not experienced with fry so I don’t know how small they usually are. Someone help.

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just normal detrius worms. They are completely harmless to fish/inverts and are used as snacks mainly :) you can either leave them for your betta to eat (mine does) or take a sponge and wipe them off during WCs

OP
CelineEden

CelineEden

Reaction score
OMG i’m so relieved, THANK YOU!!! I was about to have a minor panic attack. I’ll have him munch on them then. I wonder where they came from though?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
CelineEden said:
OMG i’m so relieved, THANK YOU!!! I was about to have a minor panic attack. I’ll have him munch on them then. I wonder where they came from though?
I have no idea where they come from but they are so tiny so my guess is they either hitchhike from live plants or maybe they come from the tap water. They are very common though so dont stress too much.

Planarian worms are the harmful ones that attack fish, they're able to latch themselves onto the fish's gills and cause gill flukes. Planarians are longer with an "arrow/triangle" shaped head.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

Many times detris worms are caused by not vacuuming your gravel well enough.

New Threads