Weird Creatures With Store Shrimp

Rtessy
I cannot for the life of me get my camera to focus, and this is a probably a very newbie question. I got nine blue velvet/dream cherry shrimp and they're drip acclimating right now, but I've noticed some weird little things swimming/twitching around in the water. They're very small and white/clear, about a millimeter or less. Could they be scuds? They're much smaller than the eggs of one of the shrimp, so I don't think they are baby shrimp, but maybe? I'll try to upload a picture when I can get one

75g Discus Tank
A pic would help.
Maybe you could circle it in the picture.
Or take a video.

Rtessy
I finally won the war on technology!
But these pictures are not very good... also one escaped

Attachments

• IMG_20180314_172700034.jpg
    IMG_20180314_172700034.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20180314_172809.jpg
    IMG_20180314_172809.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 128
Rtessy
Drat (maybe) several have escaped. They came with some Riccia fluitans, maybe they were hiding in there?
The shrimp came with the plant and I accidentally dropped some in my tank before rinsing it (smart), and now the little things are swimming in my tank

WTFish?
Possibly copepods? I have them everywhere too. Harmless, just unsightly.

Rtessy
After looking up some pics, that seems about right. I've never had anything in my tank other than what I put there before... And they won't even hurt the shrimp babies? And just as a precaution, how would I go about getting rid of them?

WTFish?
After looking up some pics, that seems about right. I've never had anything in my tank other than what I put there before... And they won't even hurt the shrimp babies? And just as a precaution, how would I go about getting rid of them?
They’ve not messed with my shrimp and I haven’t seen them any bigger than that. I tend to get a lot out with water changes but never totally rid of them. Do you have fish in there too? Some will munch on them, mine dwindled a bit after I got my ember tetras.

Rtessy
No, just a mystery snail and two nerites... I mostly just want this to be a shrimp tank, but if they don't bother the shrimp I guess it's fine. Thanks for the help!

Rtessy
Oh so bit of an update, I think they may have been either scutariella or vorticella because guess who has shrimp parasites

WTFish?
Oh so bit of an update, I think they may have been either scutariella or vorticella because guess who has shrimp parasites
Oh no :/

Rtessy
Yeah :/
Weird thing is, I had one die but it was one of the three uninfected ones... I should probably make a separate post but I'll see if anyone here knows... I know which one it was because it was one with a huge head, like the head shell was literally almost three times as wide as the body... no signs of failed molt or anything
But hey, my PraziPro arrives today so it should all be fine soon

Renaissanista
Photo waa impossible.

It looked like a detritus worm but wa 3xs as wide and 20xs as long.
Wriggled like a snake straight up to the top of the tank. I scooped it out and sterilized my fishnet.
What was that?

Gel0city
A picture could help. Was it on the glass or swimming in the water?

Renaissanista
It was swimming and white. No appendages just a straight worm. I just wanted it out of the tank.
I tried to find it in the net, but it vanished. I saw it at first. Tried to shake it out on newspaper. It was gone.
Very thin wriggled upward fast.
Impossible to photograph, really skinny and fast. White worm.

Gel0city
Does it look like detritus worms?But a little white like you said. Reminds me of planaria.

Fisheye
It it was in the water, not on the glass, moving in a frantic serpentine fashion, I think that's a detritus worm.

Renaissanista
Ok, so I posted a pic of what I thought might be a baby rabbit snail in it's egg sac.
Now, it seems it is actually a limpet. I found another in the tank.
Knowing my tank, I'll probably have 100 of these by next month.

Do they overrun a tank easily? I have no fish.

I had read about limpets, but forgot about them.

Can they come from a plant you might pick outside? I put a little oregano and lemon balm in my tank to ward off diseases and only rinsed and soaked it, didn't cook it.

I added a water hyacinth that I had soaked in a mild bleach solution and rinsed. No limpets on the side where it is, but the other side,which is strange.
Hyacinth has been in the water 2 weeks just noticed the limpets this week.

Renaissanista
It it was in the water, not on the glass, moving in a frantic serpentine fashion, I think that's a detritus worm.

That's what I was thinking. I have plenty of those. This thing was super long though, and propelled itself upward pretty powerfully and fast for a detritus. Didn't know they could get that long, over an inch. I don't think it was planaria, it was a straight line no head discernible and very thin. I hope it was just a long detritus. It was in the water, not on the glass.

Renaissanista
Yes frantic swimming, like a sidewinder, but straight up. That's a relief thanks.

MrBryan723
They could, but odds are very against that unless you live very close to water. Even with the bleach treatment i could see a limpet surviving and would still guess that was the source, or something prior to that. They aren't too bad tho, i would much rather have them over snails, but yes they can get out of hand if you provide them with too much food, just like any other "critter" infestation.

wishuponafish
Could be a horsehair worm, I've had one come out of a shrimp.

Utar
Very interesting, I never heard of anything like this.

wishuponafish
I had an outbreak of them but they kind of disappeared after a few weeks, haven't seen any in a while.

Renaissanista
I don't think it's horsehair worm because it wasnt that long or dark.
It is more likely to be a very long detritus worm.
How long can detritus get?
I found 2 behaving the same.

Poor creatures that get infected with horsehair worms!
My theory is Satan went all mad scientist a few thousand years ago and thats where mosquitos, ticks and parasites came from.
Don't look at google images if you are squeamish. Lol

FinalFins
I used to have a small colony of detritus worms grow above the water line on my tank, some were clearly over an inch. When in the water they swam in a 'S' motion

flyinGourami
It could be a detritus worm. I've seen some pretty "huge" ones, if it was kinda like a mini noodle and wiggled around a lot in the water I think they are just big detritus worms.

Renaissanista
Yes that's it.
Odd though. All my worms have been small like 1 cm.
This week found 2 long ones so far. Wonder what changed. Maybe just living longer for some reason. Thanks!

barbiespoodle
When I turned my fry grow out tank to a shrimp tank, I had what you described. I have no idea where they came from, but since I worked hard at turning the tank into a more natural environment maybe they and the copiapods came with the change, on the plants, substrate, drift wood, rocks, I don't know.

Anyhow, at first I had lots of them and the copiapod, aka, water fleas or seed shrimp. But as time went on, the detritus worms totally disappeared and copiapods are down to levels that I really have to look to find them, I can only guess that as my shrimp population grew, the detritus worms and copiapods had less to feed on. And while I did have them, they never seem to hurt the shrimp, my rcs population has grown in leaps and bounds and they are fat and sassy.

Truth be known, I kind of miss them. I'm one of those weird people who like the creepy crawlies, lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
Shrimpee
Replies
Views
Shrimp42
Replies