Weird Cory Behavior Question

1. EmiliaS

EmiliaS New Member Member

Hello!

Today when I turned on the tank light, I noticed one of my Cories seemed to be stuck against the filter intake, but when I got near it, it effortlessly swam off. Nothing else about its behavior seems off- it swims around looking for food like all the others and doesn't seem any slower or different than normal, but occasionally it will go back to the filter and rest vertically against the intake. Again, it does not seem stuck nor injured by the filter, and it seems to be doing it voluntarily.
    I've had the fish for about 2 months now, and I've never seen it or the other Cories do anything like this before. I was wondering if this is just an odd quirk it picked up, or if could be a sign of something else. I know it's the same Cory every time, because the others are all albino's.
    Thank you in advance!

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

if the tank has gone though the nitrogen cycle then its provably just haven some fun if it hasn't then there might be some problems. what are the levels in your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

4. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Here's a picture of the Cory in the act. It's still regularly coming back to it, but I'm also inclined to think it's nothing harmful.

Attached Files:

5. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually when fish get stuck to the filter intake, they are weak. How long does he stay there for? He could be looking for food?

6. kayla20johnson

kayla20johnson Valued Member Member

What kind of Cory is that? Just curious because I’ve never seen one like it!

7. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Sometimes it's a few minutes and other times up to half an hour. It really doesn't seem any weaker than usual, and yesterday it was eating fine too, and it looks for food through the sand regularly too. It doesn't seem to me like it's look for food because it's not moving like in the usual ways, it just looks like it's resting.

I think it would be a Pepper Cory, but correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Are you sure he's not just munching on algae near the intake? My corydoras go up there once in a while and eat what they can.

9. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

It's a corydoras paleatus. So yes you are right.

10. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

I've wondered about that too but it doesn't seem to me like it's eating anything. I'll take a closer look next time I catch it at the filter again.

11. Adriifu

All right. Make sure to let us know :)

12. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Well, I saw it doing it again and while occasionally it does look like it's picking stuff out from between the intake, other times it's definitely just hanging out against it, so I'm guessing it just discovered it's a nice place to rest at?

13. Adriifu

Possibly. Just make sure to keep a close eye on him :)

14. OP
    OP
    EmiliaS

Thank you! I definitely will!

15. ραмєℓα

ραмєℓα New Member Member

Maybe the cory is just eating algae around the filter. But usually when fish get stuck onto the filter they may be weak or not eating well.