Question Weird "colour" goldfish fry?

mrsP

Reaction score
My fry are now 4 weeks old, and around half look really strange, what colour are these "translucent" guys? I can even see their spine and organs, pink gills, gut, heart... Any idea what colour they will be?
IMG_20200711_122907.jpg
IMG_20200711_123353.jpg
IMG_20200711_122940.jpg

RedGallant

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I thought that most goldfish fry were typically a darker gray or black, but I think that these goldfish look fine and will remain to be orange.

OP
mrsP

mrsP

Reaction score
That will be interesting to see, I will keep you posted. :)

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They look like they will be calico! The pink gills are fine, normal even, their called pinkie calicos sometimes because of it. Don't sweat it fish mama, they look healthy and nice! <3

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think these guys are calico without the dark pigment, I have also heard them called pinkies, they often end up as feeders.

OP
mrsP

mrsP

Reaction score
Thank you, now I just need to decide what to do with them. Are they really usually weaker than their colored siblings?

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't believe so, just sell them like normal fish. They aren't weird or ugly IMO, many people like them. I'd take them if I could, I just love all goldfish. Pinkies included! I'm not goldfish-racist. :p

OP
mrsP

mrsP

Reaction score
TBH, that's what I'm doing. Since they are growing as well as the metallic ones, and I'm rubbish at culling anyway (I do have clove oil in case of emergency or true medical reason), I'm giving them a chanse. My lfs already has agreed to take them, so now they just need to grow up. I did put all of them to my 150 litre tank with parents and other fish. They are big enough not to get eaten, have more plants to destroy, and a lot more space.

Or, hint to UK, if someone is interested about fry or parents, just pm me! I decided to concentrate on smaller fish, specially loaches. I've fallen in love with them.

KeegansTropiks

Reaction score
mrsP said:
My fry are now 4 weeks old, and around half look really strange, what colour are these "translucent" guys? I can even see their spine and organs, pink gills, gut, heart... Any idea what colour they will be?
IMG_20200711_122907.jpg
IMG_20200711_123353.jpg
IMG_20200711_122940.jpg
At only 4 weeks they are still developing colour and patterns, in time they will darken some might even change to a lighter colour but generally baby fish look nothing like they do when they are adults.
Ps. Feed these guys high quality food because their digestive track is shortened due to being a fancy goldfish.

New Threads