Weird Clownfish Behavior

Discussion in 'Clownfish' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Apr 30, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZE

CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +10
    The past month my clownfish has started making violent twitching movements. I read it could be trying to get a mate, but there's no other clowns in my tank. I also heard the fish could be acting territorial. It also stays in this one corner next to the filter and heater and stares at the sand a lot (though it will occasionally wander off and chase off my chromis, who is doing fine). Just this morning for 5 seconds it layed its belly on the sand, then wandered back up. It also "fights" the glass a lot.

Is this normal for clowns? Is it trying to host my filter?

2. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    Sounds to me that unless it's a parasite, this is territorial behavior and it may be perceiving it's reflection as a challenge. As far as "hosting a filter" no, it could be that it is staking out that area as it's turf. A sure way to tell would be to stick your hand in it's general area and see how it responds. If it starts biting you then it's definitely a territorial thing.

3. Aqua Hands

Aqua HandsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +778
    Experience:
    2 years
    Dominance. Clowns (some other fish too) do this to show their dominance.

4. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    Yeah, when I had my little butthead of an Occ clown it tried that. Ended up contributing to the death of my Scissortail Dartfish and possibly my Purple Firefish. Little jerk tried it once too often with my Melanurus Wrasse and boy did it regret it. My generally Peaceful Wrasse snapped and spent the next day beating the living crappola out of that Clown (even grabbed it by it's tail and shook it like a ragdoll). The next day the Wrasse backed off, but if the clown tried anything it just gave a quick little reminder nip and the clown backed off real quick. Normally I don't care for aggression but when a bully is given what for by another fish that was minding it's own business, it makes me grin from ear to ear.

5. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    A few minutes ago my clownfish was acting really weird. It was at the corner of the tank (it's favorite spot) and it was staying still, moving its fins very slowly. Right now it's fine, but what's wrong? BTW most of my zoas have died recently. Could my tank be crashing? I haven't changed/checked water since the end of April. Only top-offs.

6. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +483
    Experience:
    Just started
    It should be normal! I have heard that clowns like to stay in one spot, but if it does not eat then I would be worried.

7. Jesterrace

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    Wait, you haven't changed the water on a 10 gallon tank since the end of April and you wonder what is wrong? A tank of that size needs a MINIMUM of a weekly partial water change. Your nitrates are probably through the roof and hence a big part of what is going on with your Zoas and Fish being lethargic. You also can't go 5 weeks without testing the water on a tank like that. Do a water change and keep up with it weekly. Did you ever get a powerhead in your tank?

8. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    I will go do a water change than. Maybe a bigger one, like 20% or something.

And, yes, I got a powerhead. I don't want this tank to crash.

9. OP
    OP
    CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Ratings:
    +10
    I just changed 10% of the water. I tested the Nitrites (Nitrites only) after changing and it's 0ppm. The fish are swimming around (possibly cause of all the movement) and some of the zoas seem to be waking up.

So far no aggression between the clown and the chromis.

UPDATE: Mild, infrequent territorial aggression from the clownfish. It always gets like this after topping off/water change. Could it be all the water movement from the water changes/top offs making my clownfish act cranky?

Also, I messed up a bit. I was supposed to test NitrAtes, not NitrItes. I'll do that later.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member