Weird Bump On Betta?! Pics Included

Doodles23

Reaction score
Hi! I'm brand new here and looking for help. I noticed a couple months ago my Betta had what looked like a couple raised scales on his one side. It has slowly grown worse and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. He's happy, swims well, loves to eat and always swims up to see anyone by his tank.
Screenshot_20170422-211423.png
Thanks in advance!

Another picture. Not a super good shot.
Screenshot_20170422-211934.png

Could it be a tumor?

Got a better picture this morning
IMG_20170423_080541.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
There are some very experienced folks on here, I'm sure you will get some great advice soon. Good luck!

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It may be a tumor, but I'm not 100% sure, it could be an injury as he looks like he's missing some scales too. There's been a heap of bettas in shops around my way lately that pretty much every second one has a tumor It's very sad to see.

Doodles23

Reaction score
It may be a tumor, but I'm not 100% sure, it could be an injury as he looks like he's missing some scales too. There's been a heap of bettas in shops around my way lately that pretty much every second one has a tumor It's very sad to see.
So sad I thought originally perhaps he injured himself, but it's gotten bigger and looks like a growth of some sort. It has never opened up or anything of that nature, just grows. His other side is beautiful and looks great otherwise. I'm perplexed

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sad I thought originally perhaps he injured himself, but it's gotten bigger and looks like a growth of some sort. It has never opened up or anything of that nature, just grows. His other side is beautiful and looks great otherwise. I'm perplexed
Have you tried any treatments? It could be an injury that's gotten infected, you could try adding aquarium salt or try a broad spectrum anti bacterial / fungal treatment such as esha 2000. If you don't see any improvement then I'd assume it's probably a tumor unfortunately.

Doodles23

Reaction score
I have not tried any treatments. I will stop by Petco today and see what they have. Thank you for your help!

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, that's a small tumor. Metallic bettas seem to be prone to those. Unfortunately, there's no cure other than surgically removing it. He'll be happy up until his last moments.

Doodles23

Reaction score
Yes, that's a small tumor. Metallic bettas seem to be prone to those. Unfortunately, there's no cure other than surgically removing it. He'll be happy up until his last moments.
Aww my poor buddy. I thought so. Thanks for your help!

lmau25

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks like a tumor to me.
I'm so sorry about your little guy. He will be very happy with an owner as caring as you up until his last days! I've seen Bettas with much larger tumors live for years with them.

Doodles23

Reaction score
It looks like a tumor to me.
I'm so sorry about your little guy. He will be very happy with an owner as caring as you up until his last days! I've seen Bettas with much larger tumors live for years with them.
Thank you so much for your kind words!!

It could be a tumor. Try cooking him a pea and toss it in the tank.
What will a pea do? I never knew they could eat one! Do I toss it in whole or smoosh it??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom