Weird Bugs

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Jordon gregory, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Jordon gregory

Jordon gregoryNew MemberMember

Hi there I recently did a water change and it appeared there was hundreds of tiny bugs in the bottom of the bucket any ideas pleease

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Impossible to know without pictures or a more detailed description. Odds are copepods of some sort tho.

3. RHONDA PIMENTEL

RHONDA PIMENTELValued MemberMember

I just went thru something like that recently. Very tiny whites like grains of salt bugs in a cycled tank. I learned they were just a type of copepapod, harmless. They said they would go away and they did in less than a week. They say it's a sign of a good biological system. But, I'm not sure if yours are the same? What color, size, movement type??

4. Oriongal

OriongalNew MemberMember

Could also be scuds (amphipods). They're sort of C-shaped or comma-shaped when viewed from the side, and they scoot through the water quickly (thus the nickname 'scuds'). They'll frequently be found in filter reservoirs as well, especially the bottom of canister filters.

I deliberately seed amphipods in all my tanks, I think they're very good to have (especially in planted tanks.) They're detritus eaters, so they will augment a tank's cleanup crew. And many fish love to hunt for/snack on them as well.

5. mlash

mlashValued MemberMember

I had the same thing and mine and like yours mine went away. It took about 2 weeks for me. But I did freak out at first! Luckily I maintained my composure and didn't do anything stupid.