Weird bruises on Crayfish

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by Domanating, Aug 8, 2015.

1. DomanatingNew MemberMember

Hello and greetings folks!

I've been maintaining a cold fresh water aquarium for quite a while now with fish from my nearby river and I've been planning on adding crayfish to it.
    Now I already did my homework when it comes to crayfish housing, water conditions, fish they can live with, food and such and went to get some at the river. I did catch 2 specimens but one of them was showing ill signs. Unable to find a decent explanation to the bruises and dull coloring of the crayfish in the web, I came here for help.

The crayfish in question:
    DSCN0065.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

You can see the bottom one has a way duller color compared to the top one, the tail shows irregular white marks and the shell has 2 weird bruises that resemble pimples.
    I'm wondering if this crayfish has any kind of disease that could infect the water of my aquarium and what kind of sickness it has, if any.

2. DomanatingNew MemberMember

Well, whatever he had it sure was fatal. Found him dead today. His buddy is still feisty as ever since I got him.

No signs of them fighting, in case you were wondering.
    I guess my problem solved itself out after all!

3. JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I hope the other one isn't infected with anything (assuming that was some kind of infection).

It's always something we worry about with any new critter, no matter where it comes from.

I like the red coloration!

We've got some native crays in a couple of aquariums at work. They're pretty fascinating.

4. DomanatingNew MemberMember

He looks fine and still quite aggressive, which is good.

I did open the dead one to see what were those weird blisters. After removing the shell from body I noticed the blisters are very thin but relatively resilient transparent membranes. I didn't see any punctures there but if the healthy crayfish actually hit those bubbles in a fight, the sick one's insides would be at the mercy of everything really.

5. JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I wonder if a biologist with your local game and fish department could identify those things on the shell from the photos.

They don't look like injuries. They look more like some kind of parasite or disease damage.