Weird Brown Thing On My Marimo Ball

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Iboughtmykidfish, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

So, im relatively new to fish keeping. I have 2 betta tanks, and each has a moss ball in it. And 1 snail. The balls have been in there for about a week, and tonight when i got home from the store i noticed there was this weird light brownish thing kinda stuck to one of the balls. Ive been home all day and havent seen it on there before. When i got them i soaked them in water for about a day and a half, changed the water and squeezed them out periodically, like i had read to do, so i dont know if its something that hitchhiked on, or if its from my tank. I suction out all uneaten food (although fred never misses a meal) i think it looks too big to be an expanded betta pellet, but maybe it is. Has anyone ever seen this? Can moss balls have growths, or parasites?

Attached Files:

2. Lunnietic

LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

It really looks like fish poop to me. Betas can poop in large balls like that.

3. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth MNew MemberMember

It could definitely be a large build up of fish wastes. When I first saw it I thought it was a snail, but I don't think its too much to worry about. Just remove it and if it returns again maybe take a closer look.

4. OP
    OP
    Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishWell Known MemberMember

Thanks guys! My first thought was a snail too, but it looked more like a brain than a snail. Ive never had bettas, only angelfish and things, so i was expecting a long stringy poop, rather than a ball. Ive done countless hours of research on these guys, but never looked into the poop