Weird Brown Thing On My Marimo Ball

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I'm relatively new to fish keeping. I have 2 betta tanks, and each has a moss ball in it. And 1 snail. The balls have been in there for about a week, and tonight when I got home from the store I noticed there was this weird light brownish thing kinda stuck to one of the balls. Ive been home all day and haven't seen it on there before. When I got them I soaked them in water for about a day and a half, changed the water and squeezed them out periodically, like I had read to do, so I don't know if its something that hitchhiked on, or if its from my tank. I suction out all uneaten food (although fred never misses a meal) I think it looks too big to be an expanded betta pellet, but maybe it is. Has anyone ever seen this? Can moss balls have growths, or parasites?

Attachments

Elizabeth M

Reaction score
It could definitely be a large build up of fish wastes. When I first saw it I thought it was a snail, but I don't think its too much to worry about. Just remove it and if it returns again maybe take a closer look.

OP
Iboughtmykidfish

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks guys! My first thought was a snail too, but it looked more like a brain than a snail. Ive never had bettas, only angelfish and things, so I was expecting a long stringy poop, rather than a ball. Ive done countless hours of research on these guys, but never looked into the poop

New Threads