Weird Brown Thing On My Marimo Ball Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Iboughtmykidfish, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishValued MemberMember

So, im relatively new to fish keeping. I have 2 betta tanks, and each has a moss ball in it. And 1 snail. The balls have been in there for about a week, and tonight when i got home from the store i noticed there was this weird light brownish thing kinda stuck to one of the balls. Ive been home all day and havent seen it on there before. When i got them i soaked them in water for about a day and a half, changed the water and squeezed them out periodically, like i had read to do, so i dont know if its something that hitchhiked on, or if its from my tank. I suction out all uneaten food (although fred never misses a meal) i think it looks too big to be an expanded betta pellet, but maybe it is. Has anyone ever seen this? Can moss balls have growths, or parasites?

Attached Files:

2. Lunnietic

LunnieticWell Known MemberMember

It really looks like fish poop to me. Betas can poop in large balls like that.

3. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth MNew MemberMember

It could definitely be a large build up of fish wastes. When I first saw it I thought it was a snail, but I don't think its too much to worry about. Just remove it and if it returns again maybe take a closer look.

4. OP
    OP
    Iboughtmykidfish

IboughtmykidfishValued MemberMember

Thanks guys! My first thought was a snail too, but it looked more like a brain than a snail. Ive never had bettas, only angelfish and things, so i was expecting a long stringy poop, rather than a ball. Ive done countless hours of research on these guys, but never looked into the poop

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice