Weird Brown Specks In Tank?

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Mg134, May 21, 2019.

1. Mg134

Mg134New MemberMember

I have a 5 gal Betta tank that’s been cycling and established for a few months. Three days ago I bought one mystery snail and one ghost shrimp for my tank. Yesterday, I noticed these tiny brown things in my tank. They don’t float, they are just settled all along the bottom, and they don’t swim, so I don’t think they’re alive. Help! What are they?

2. TheBettaSushi

TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!!!

Can’t really see anything besides the white specks on your Marimo ball but I’m assuming it’s shrimp and snail poop. My nerite poops A LOT!!! I get brown micro pellet sized poop all over the place all day, every day!!! It’s insane how much they poop!

3. OP
    OP
    Mg134

Mg134New MemberMember

I thought they might be poop too, but there’s just so many for one snail! I guess if they normally poop a lot though, then that’s what they probably are! Thanks!

4. TheBettaSushi

Believe me, they poop like machines... if it looks anything like this, then it’s definitely poop (if you look closely to where the driftwood is touching the substrate, you can see a puddle of decomposed snail poop).
    BD90E580-766E-4D4B-AE80-B760246D7F91.jpeg

Here’s another one... This is just from one day btw... that brown puddle on my sand between the Anubias petite and buce plant tied to rock is decomposed poop that was left in for only a day... all from 1 snail. The rest of the stuff on my sand towards the front is decomposed poop from two days ago.

7A1747EB-B480-4564-8725-7214DD37BA95.jpeg

5. OP
    OP
    Mg134

Mg134New MemberMember

I’ll keep an eye on my tank to see if anything weird changes. Will it affect the tank to let the waste just sit in there?

6. TheBettaSushi

No. Even though they excrete so much waste, their carbon footprint is minuscule so it won’t affect water parameters. I’ve left poop in there for a week before doing a water change and tested every day with the api master kit and I never had any spikes. My readings were always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 10-20ppm of nitrates. I test once a week due to dosing fertilizers and my readings have always been excellent. Their poop is just unsightly.

7. OP
    OP
    Mg134

Mg134New MemberMember

Cool, thanks so much for the help!

8. OP
    OP
    Mg134

Mg134New MemberMember

6F1C07C3-BE7A-4765-B4B3-F705B6ADB0ED.jpeg sure enough, my little dude has been eating this plant and pooping up a storm haha. My Betta is very curious about him!

9. TheBettaSushi

Beautiful betta! Good looking snail too!!!

10. OP
    OP
    Mg134

Mg134New MemberMember

Thank you so much! I love em