Help Weird blue-green sludge

tapirtamer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I worry over every little thing.

Today, I woke up to find some green, almost blue-ish sludge on some of my driftwood. Is this just algae I can let my snails eat, or is it something else? I've never seen algae this color or consistency in the fish tanks at my store, but it might just be a different species than any of the ones we deal with at work. Tanins in water make the photo not really show the blue undertones well.
1585152145556.png

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That would be cyanobacteria. It's a harmless bacteria that acts the same as algae.

Remove it manually with the gravel vacuum and paper towels, keep nitrate under 10 ppm, and lower the light setting.

I had some for a few months on one of my puffer tanks. Got it from the fish store on a plant I bought. I always keep low nitrates but it kept coming back. I lowered the light power by two clicks and it never came back.

Algae eating won't eat it either, so there's no cheating to get rid of it haha.

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I first got back into fishkeeping 7 or so years ago I had a nasty battle with cyanobacteria. I tried all the simple methods of reduced lighting, increased cleaning etc. but I just couldn't get the upper hand on it. I don't advise jumping straight to chemicals but this product in the link below worked absolute wonders. By all means this should be a last ditch effort. I actually under dosed the product and my cyanobacteria went away over the course of a week or so. It did not harm fish, plants, snails or shrimp. Everyone survived seemingly unharmed.....

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
toeknee said:
When I first got back into fishkeeping 7 or so years ago I had a nasty battle with cyanobacteria. I tried all the simple methods of reduced lighting, increased cleaning etc. but I just couldn't get the upper hand on it. I don't advise jumping straight to chemicals but this product in the link below worked absolute wonders. By all means this should be a last ditch effort. I actually under dosed the product and my cyanobacteria went away over the course of a week or so. It did not harm fish, plants, snails or shrimp. Everyone survived seemingly unharmed.....
That's weird! How were your nitrates?

I've only had cyano that one time and it went away super easily once I reduced the light. I did have to literally remove all of the cyano first though. I couldn't leave any of it behind or it would continue to grow even with the low light/low nutrients.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
When I dealt with cyano it was all over anything and I did reduce the light myself but until I started getting higher nitrates due to increased stock(thus more WC ) it slowly went away.

I also used ultralife but the first time I dosed it went away then it came back as a ultralife resistant strain :hilarious:

so yeah, increased cleaning, lower light, physical removal and extra WC should do the trick.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom