Weird Black Spots on Clown Loach

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by luke355027355027, Dec 6, 2012.

1. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Can somone help me identify these black spots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, Luke -

The spots are pigmentation. It may be that the lighting source could be of fault, and this isn't any relevance to disease so don't worry about that.

This is normal for most Loaches. Not all can have this or get this but it's not uncommon, especially for Clown Loaches. Just keep an eye on it, though, as for anything different appears on fishes you want to monitor it.

Don't be alarmed as more could appear over a period of time. My suggestion, even with this being normality for CL's, is to lessen the time period that your fish tank light stays on. It could reduce the amount of spots or darkness of the spots.

Hope this helps. :)

3. OP
    OP
    l

By fault lighting do you mean my light is bad. Its about a year old. For about a week now i have reduced my lighting from 12 hours to 6 hours a day.

Also i have two lights. One is just a regular light and the other is for plants.

Regular light is 1 years old and plant bulb is 8 months. If there is a certain type of light i should get they will both need to be replaced soon.

Thank you for the informative post

4. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I don't keep clown loaches but my understanding is most of the time its just pigment related and nothing to be concerned about. Just Fyi, there is a disease called black spot disease which looks like this, it is a parasitic disease but has a very complicated lifecycle involving birds, snails and fish which imo makes it pretty unlikey thats what is going on.

Personally, I haven't read of lighting being involved and saw a number of cases where one fish out of many in the same conditions produced these spots.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

When I kept Clown Loaches I was told it was something that loaches do and isn't harmful for the loaches. never seemed to affect mine.
    Hope that helps.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    l

I also read about black spot disease i have no snails and a bird stays upstairs. Thanks for all the feedback

7. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Don't worry. Sometimes they do what is referred to as "graying out," where their black stripes become gray for a period of time. It seems that when they do that, it isn't an even change - some specks of pigmentation may fail to change. This "graying" was not well understood as of the writing of the literature I heard about it in; the author suggested it may be a form of communication.

He appears to be a perfectly healthy specimen from the photos.

8. Butterfly

The graying out indicates the alpha in the group and graying out usually comes after a squabble which Clowns are good at LOL
    carol

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Link of interest above.

Ken

10. Butterfly

Thanks Ken I forgot the link LOl
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice