Weird behaviour

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is it normal for my DG to swim back and forth across the tank constantly? I recently added him to my newly cycled tank and he's been doing this a lot.

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mine did this also. Almost like he was trying to figure a way out. How long has he been in his new home? sometimes it just takes them a little while to be comfortable.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I put him in wednesday night, the first night he pretty much stayed in one corner, but today and last night hes been swimming back and forth. He has the whole 25 gallon tank to himself so I thought he might jsut be bored too...

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That could very well be it. Does the tank have plants? I do know tha DG benefit from some floating plants. fake or real. That would make him feel more secure and they are pretty.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Good advice from CHoffman. I had a DG that swam back and forth like that.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
there are some plants in the tank, silk plants, they dont float however theyre anchored into the gravel and theres also 2 logs. I checked on him tonight and he was just chillin near the ground picking at the gravel so it could just be his way of burning some energy i guess. Ill look into getting some floating plants tho to help him feel more secure

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mine did that like it was patrolling the tank for a while. Once it is comfortable maybe it will not do it as often.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mine did that too... I don't think its much to worry about. Just a little bit stressed from moving maybe?

I hope it all goes well!

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Every DG I have had did the back and fourth thing.I have one in my 55 gallon,he has been in there for 5 months and his race track is the full 4' length of the back of the tank.He zig-zags between the filter tubes and the heater.The tank is heavily planted and he shows no sign of stress.You know when people say "Do what you do" that is what DG's do.That is also why I wouldn't recomend any DG for less than a 20 gallon.I always try to keep a clear path across the back of the tank for them.In a nutshell your fish is acting normal.

jwokmuba2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mine alway swam everywhere, constantly dodging and ducking between and around obstacles, i think he was just really happy!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads