Weird Behaviour From My Multi

AQUA_LOVER
HI all,

One of my multis is spending most of her time by the filter outlet at the top of the tank and only really goes into a shell when I approach. They are all still a little wary of me. What might cause this behaviour? Does it sound like bullying? Do I possibly need more shells? Any ideas?

It is a 10 gallon tank and there are 2 males and what I believe to be 3 females.
1546163089996.jpg
1546163109810.jpg

Advertisement
Collin Chorba
it could be because none of the shells are the right kind, not likely though, I'm a little confused by what you mean? in the pictures provided, I don't see a multI near the outflow. I do know that multies will use the upper parts of the tank sometimes, maybe you just have a weird fish, unless you see the other fish actively chasing her then I wouldn't worry about it, especially if the fish are relatively new to the tank.

Advertisement
KimberlyG
How long have you had them? The female who spends her time at the top may be a juvenile male and is wisely staying out of the territories that the other males have claimed. I have had that happen before. I now have 3 multI tanks instead of just the one that I wanted. (my display tank, my bachelor pad, and my grow out for the LFS)

AQUA_LOVER
The one who stays at the top is very shy and tends to hide when it sees me. Bu rhe time I was ready to take a picture last night it was already hiding. I took the picture to show the shells in case I was way low on my shell count. I had to sneak up and use zoom for this picture.

As I was taking this picture one of the males went and aggressively inspected the one hiding by the filter. Perhaps it is a smaller scared Male.
1546195230004.jpg
1546195451483.jpg

Deaddawg
To me they look the same size so they are probably males that lost the fight. All multies that lose in a territory fight get pushed to the top of the tank. You would think you could just move them to another tank but they are so hard to catch. IMOP they look like males in the pic. I could be wrong and it would not be the first time.

P.s.

Amazon has roland escargot shells that work great.

AQUA_LOVER
To me they look the same size so they are probably males that lost the fight. All multies that lose in a territory fight get pushed to the top of the tank. You would think you could just move them to another tank but they are so hard to catch. IMOP they look like males in the pic. I could be wrong and it would not be the first time.

P.s.

Amazon has roland escargot shells that work great.
Those are the multI in question at the top of the tank and a definite female. The male is the one who is facing the camera just above the heater wire. Unfortunately, he turned at the last second so all I got was him head on. He is noticeably bigger when compared to the others.

Advertisement
Deaddawg
This is a male and female just for clarification.
d0ab7c7458abd168a4aac8020016d388.jpg

I'm not saying that you don't know the difference. But I am saying that I didn't know that it was this much of a difference.

AQUA_LOVER
I'm not saying that you don't know the difference. But I am saying that I didn't know that it was this much of a difference.
Yeah you are right, it is a big difference. That is why I thought that one was a female at first. But now that I am seeing other people's comments, it is possible that the shy one is a smaller male both of the adult males have taken up residence with one female respectively. I guess I might have to trade him in.

KimberlyG
I see you have turbos. Can you get a few more of those shells? Mine do well in them. (Brown land snail shells are the best and the closest I have found to the Neothauma Snails shells that they inhabit in Lake Tanganyika. I had to order those on line but if you have access to turbos, get more of those.)

AQUA_LOVER
I see you have turbos. Can you get a few more of those shells? Mine do well in them. (Brown land snail shells are the best and the closest I have found to the Neothauma Snails shells that they inhabit in Lake Tanganyika. I had to order those on line but if you have access to turbos, get more of those.)

I honestly have no idea what Turbos are... I went to a craft store and I bought a big bag of shells for cheaper than I could get at my LFS. I have a tonne left, but I didn't want to overdo it with the shells. Should I add more?

I also managed to sneek a picture of the big male and some of the females. The one at the top now that I have studied them a bit more does seem to be a bit bigger than the other females.
20181230_172039.jpg
20181230_172044.jpg
20181230_163123.jpg

Advertisement
KimberlyG
The first pic below are shells out of one of my tanks. Note the shape of the opening, You have several in there that will work. I would take out the shells that look like the one I have put an X on in your photo.

Attachments

• IMG_9702.JPG
    IMG_9702.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Inkedshells_LI.jpg
    Inkedshells_LI.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Inkedshells2_LI.jpg
    Inkedshells2_LI.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 159
AQUA_LOVER
Thank you, very helpful. Though I have seen my females choose the ones that are longer and skinnier too. I will put a few more of the ones with a bigger opening in.

If you look at the very first picture you will see my male in the opening of the wide shell closest to the heater at the back.

KimberlyG
I do see him! Males are different. My males love the Murex shells but the females won't spawn in them. I think to an extent, they will use the shells that they have available but the ones closest to the Neothauma shells are the best. (I posted a link so that you can see what is the ideal for them. but I don't have any of those. Not paying $16 dollars a piece. lol)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views
Mouska
Replies
Views
Leeman75
Replies
Views