weird behavior Question

1. kindghost Member Member

i had an acei cichlid in my tank for about a week and i just added another one today. the one i had keeps following the the new one around and keeps flaring up his fins at the new one. is this a behavior due to breeding? he doesn't seem to bother the new one too much just keeps following it around.

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

with africans, they need to be overstocked as they are very agressive...it could be breeding behavoir or total territorial and wanting to kill one another...are you sure its a m/f combo?

3. kindghost Member Member

see i don't know if its two males or two females or a mix. the aggressor never seems to strike the other one just follows it around and tries to swim in front of it an shows the other one its fins

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

afrcans need the 1m to 3-4f ratio...and overstocked as i said...so if not sure, try to get some pics for some help or google it...they can terrorize eachother to death and it happens fast with them ....or they can court one another which is almost the same minus injuries that would lead to death

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Shawnie's advice is right on target.

Also, it's recommended to add 5 at a time to "spread out" the aggression towards the new arrivals.