Weird Behave In My Opinion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by bstickler7, Apr 10, 2017.

1. b

bstickler7 Valued Member Member

So I have a 55 gallon. Which is not the permanent home for these fish. But either way. I have an oscar a Severum and a blood parrot in it. And the weirdest this is the oscar is getting bullied and the bloodparrot is king of the tank and the severum is like his mercenary.

THIS IS NOT THEIR PERMANENT HOME
    And they are all around 3 inches. Can someone explain this behavior

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    I have a 135 gallon with 1 Severum and 2 Blood Parrots in it, so I know what you mean.

It sounds like your fish are establishing the pecking order and your Oscar is at the bottom.
    Does the Oscar get constantly bullied or only sometimes.

One way to solve this is to re-arrange the tanks aquascape to re-establish territories. Also, do you have hiding places in the tank? More hiding spots would help your Oscar to get more cover.

3. OP
    OP
    b

Yeah every time he comes out of hiding he gets pegged by the severum

4. Ed204

And are they all about 3 inches in size?

5. OP
    OP
    b

The severum is the biggest but they are all in the 3-4 inch size

6. Ed204

Alright. Try re arranging the aquascape of the tank to re establish territory.
    Preferably, take out the fish before you do it.

Also, adding fake or live plants will create more hiding spots for the fish.
    What do you have as hiding spots for your fish at the moment?

7. OP
    OP
    b

I have jungle Val lining the back and 2 different rock caves that have a bunch of different holes and stuff on opposite sides of the tank a big piece of driftwood from the top of the tank to the bottom. And a bunch of live plants the jungle Val is real too. The caves are made with rocks I found on a trail I walk so I designed the caves not premade or anything

8. Ed204

Okay, how long has the Severum been attacking the Oscar? And is the Oscar injured?

9. OP
    OP
    b

Maybe like 2 days and. All three of them have little tears on their tail fins except the bp he has it on his dorsal. Just one tear on each fish

10. Ed204

Alright, I would just monitor them for the moment. If the Sev continues to attack the Oscar and it continues to get worse I would move the Oscar to a smaller tank temporarily, so that he can heal and relieve stress.

11. OP
    OP
    b

Okay cool thanks for helping me :). I honestly was worried about the oscar being the most aggressive it all went backwards. It is just weird how that happens

12. Ed204

What tank are you planning to upgrade to and when?
    Once they are in a bigger tank the agression should diffuse.

13. OP
    OP
    b

I'm not sure yet. I was planning on getting a pretty big tank in the end

14. Ed204

Alright, for now just monitor them and if it gets worse you'll have to start temporarily separating fish.
    Best of Luck! :)

15. OP
    OP
    b

Thank you very mich

16. Ed204

Anytime :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice