Weird Balls In Tank? Identification Help?

Demeterite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just came home from a two-and-a-half week vacation. I gave my pet sitters instructions to under feed my fish basically while I was gone. They told me they did 10-12 of those tiny betta pellets every other day.

This is a 10 gallon tank that is divided with a betta on each side. There are some pest Ramshorns in the tank but nothing really else but some plants.

IMG_20190810_215105.jpg

FishGirl38

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Agree with above, Its old fish food or other organic matter that has started decaying and is growing fungi. Do a hydro-vac asap to remove them. Test your parameters,optional before, recommended a few hours after water change, (ammonia/nitrate for sure) just to be sure the over-feeding/decaying food didn't throw anything off with the water quality.

EDIT: this fungi isn't the type to attack fish (which is why they're eating the old food - first) but enough of it in the tank and it can start to infect fish. So you shouldn't have to worry on that front after a water change, especially if your water parameters are all in check.

Another Edit: the next time you need to leave the tank with a sitter, tell them to feed the betta as much as they will eat within 1-2 min. Ask them to remove any old pellets with a small net (that you provide) either right after feeding (preferably) or the next time they feed. I feed my betta 6 pellets and a few treats every other day or so.

Last edited:

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not overfeeding is something that has to be learned. It's not their fault, it's just that without experience a person is going to think the fish need much more food than they should be fed.

I'd remove the debris, do a water change, and watch the parameters. If there's a problem you'll see it with the test.

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In all reality you could feed them once a week couldn’t you? I don’t keep Betta’s I have going longer then a week with out feeding other types. I just feed the heavy for a few days before I go. Just a thought.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In all reality you could feed them once a week couldn’t you? I don’t keep Betta’s I have going longer then a week with out feeding other types. I just feed the heavy for a few days before I go. Just a thought.
I know it's common for people to feed heavily before they go on vacation. I think that's a bad idea. Ammonia production doesn't depend on how many fish you have, it depends on how much food goes into the tank. If you feed heavily before you leave, all you're accomplishing is ensuring an increase in ammonia output. Water going foul is the biggest problem people have when they go on vacation. Why tempt fate by loading up on ammonia just before you leave? In my opinion you'll be much better off feeding normally and doing a water change just before you leave.

BubblesTheBettaFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with the others that the balls are the betta pellets. I had a similar problem when I used sinking pellets, and my betta only ate them before they fell. Now I use floating pellets that wouldn’t cause this problem. I agree that 10 - 12 pellets is way too much food. I feed my betta 3-4 pellets twice a day, in the morning and then at night. I hope this helps!

tjander

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@GuppyDazzle. Though your thoughts are sound in theory, I think the part your missing is the biological bacteria should be able to handle any extra output from the aquatic life. If your tank is well established.
Allowing someone to feed your fish who is not experienced is imo a greater risk of exactly what happened to the OP, then the small potential of elevated ammonia from extra waste.
Let ya all in on a secret your lfs wont tell ya. Fish can go a long time with out eating 2 weeks maybe longer with out eating.
We all over feed your fish, I am guilty of it and if you ask most people with some years of experience I would venture to say they will admittedly agree to it at one time as well.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@GuppyDazzle. Though your thoughts are sound in theory, I think the part your missing is the biological bacteria should be able to handle any extra output from the aquatic life. If your tank is well established.
Allowing someone to feed your fish who is not experienced is imo a greater risk of exactly what happened to the OP, then the small potential of elevated ammonia from extra waste.
Let ya all in on a secret your lfs wont tell ya. Fish can go a long time with out eating 2 weeks maybe longer with out eating.
We all over feed your fish, I am guilty of it and if you ask most people with some years of experience I would venture to say they will admittedly agree to it at one time as well.
Why on would you knowingly increase ammonia just before you leave on vacation? You can hope it will be OK and your cycle will adjust to it and that might happen, but why?

I agree that asking someone to feed your fish almost always ends up with trouble. Maybe it's a greater risk than the "small potential of elevated ammonia from extra waste." Again, why would you create a situation that could easily lead to an ammonia spike?

If you over feed your fish before you go on vacation, no, it's not 100% guaranteed it will cause an ammonia spike, but there's still a good chance it would foul the water and you won't be around to see what's going on in your tank. Why would you want to do that for zero benefit?

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 38.5%

Top Bottom