Weird Aquaclear filter question

Fishyfishyfishman

Hello Fishlore, I have the Aqueon 10 gallon with the Lid and aqueon quietflow 10. I would like to upgrade to an aquaclear filter but dont know if I can fit one where the gap in the lid is. If any one has knowledge about it it would be greatly appreciated. Also if so what size AC filter fits in that gap?

BigManAquatics

Should be able to find dimensions of the filter in question online fairly easy, as well as measure the gap you have. I would imagine the size to be similar. I typically use sponge filters on about everything though...airline tubing is always the same!

CHJ

Do you have a regular Aquion 10 gal or one of those kits?
If it is a kit isn't the back tight to the HOB to keep jumpers from escaping?
If that is the case you might have to do some cutting to make something bigger fit or just replace the top with a glass lid. Do those kit ones still run incandescents? If so, LEDs are nicer.
If it is a normal 10 gal with a glass top an AQ110 fits nicely.

overkill filtration.jpg

BigManAquatics

Do you have a regular Aquion 10 gal or one of those kits?
If it is a kit isn't the back tight to the HOB to keep jumpers from escaping?
If that is the case you might have to do some cutting to make something bigger fit or just replace the top with a glass lid. Do those kit ones still run incandescents? If so, LEDs are nicer.
If it is a normal 10 gal with a glass top an AQ110 fits nicely.

overkill filtration.jpg
Aqueon actually has kits for incandescents or LEDs. Can't remember the price difference.

Fishyfishyfishman

It’s the LED kit with the gap in the back not this
1642804427738.jpegone I just dont think the quietflow as enough strength.

CHJ

If I designed the kit I I wouldn't allow any real space around the filter. If this is the case you are looking at cutting up the lid or replacing it if you want to go HOB. With out a bigger opening you will not get any real improvement over what you have.
Now if you are willing to go a different direction, I'd bet the intake and output of this https://amazon.com/Cascade-CCF2UL-C...2871258&sprefix=canister+filte,aps,136&sr=8-2 would fit in the hole. Fill it up with foam and there you go. Just figure out how to plug any open space so your fish/pets do not escape.
Bang for buck Cascades are not bad, though their price has gone up due to COVID.

There is also the old school option. https://amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Prem-U...&sprefix=10+gallon+undergravel,aps,114&sr=8-1
And
2 of https://amazon.com/MarineLand-Maxi-...1611011&sprefix=powerhead,aps,134&sr=8-2&th=1 either the 600s or the 900s as 1200s price has gone through the roof. If you have powerheads you prefer to Maxis go with those.
You will have to run gravel as sand will not work with this setup.

What is the interest in more filtration? Planning to do a reef tank? Stick a fish that is too big in the tank, like a green terror? Mainly interested in flow and filtration is just frosting, as you just want to make some Hillstreams happy? With filtration, overkill is its own reward?
Personally I'm a fan of overkill filtration.

Fishyfishyfishman

Yeah overkill filtration not gonna do anything crazy I hope lol. 3 Mollies in a 10g heavily planted with AC 30 reasonable or at least able to fish happy. I do not know ANYTHING about canisters or undergravel filters. Mostly looking for more room for media. Quietflows suck when it come to that. I looked at the dimensions and I think It can fit actually YAY. Also is it possible to take the sponge off of the stand thingy sponge filters are on and put it back on later?

PrincessHydra

Aquaclear 30 is 6 inches wide and the AC50 is 7 inches wide. For whatever reason the AC50 is often less expensive than the AC30, so if you might get a larger tank at some time and it will fit your current setup, it might be worth considering the AC50

Fishyfishyfishman

Yeah I noticed its cheaper. I dont’t have much room even with the 30 (once I get it) but its so weird that the 50 is cheaper.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
E150GT
Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views