weird algae

1. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

it's on the glass and it was on my ceramic ornament. it's kind of spotted/speckly. it's been there for like a week and my ottos haven't eaten any of it. i've had plenty of algae problems before, but it's never looked like this.

there's also some algae that's kind of stringy. it's been growing off my fake plants and ornaments. my molly enjoys pulling on it, but my ottos get caught in it. it reminds me of like a think green spider web, but more clumped together. it's pretty thick.

i don't know anything at all about algae, but this stuff looks gross and is bothering my fish. any ideas?

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Follow the link on why is there algae in a tank and it should help you identify which form of algae is growing in your tank.

From your description it sounds like a form of staghorn or string algae.

3. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

i checked it out and it doesn't match any of the pictures there. i did solve some of my other algae problems, though.

4. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Can you post a picture? We could help diagnose it and figure out what's out of balance in your tank.

What are your current water parameters? What kind of lighting do you have? How many hours are the lights on?

The answers to these questions can help the members get a better understanding of your tank; and may be able to determine which form(s) of algae are growing in your tank.

5. kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I'll have to answer these questions tomorrow afternoon because of school, but I do not know what type of lighting there is. I know that my parents replaced the light in the tank maybe a year ago, and it was the right kind of light.