Weir/overflow Refugium Experiment

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a Red Sea Max 250 (the old one with the hood and weir etc) that I want to do an experiment with the weir or my phosband reactor. I want to try using some Chaeto macro algae and putting it in my weird (without any light source) but I wanted to know if that would work or if the Chaeto or if without a light source, it would die.
If it would die I want to try putting some chaeto in my phosband reactor that hangs on the back of the tank. The rear of the tank faces a window that gets about 2 hours total of direct sunlight a day so thats why I think I may work.

Put your thoughts bellow and I'll keep the threat updated.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, I don't love either option a whole lot. Like any plant, chaeto needs light to grow and the growth is what we're after for nutrient reduction. How much light is the question I suppose. I keep a 24w plant light on over mine for 8 hours every night and honestly feel it's a bit excessive, but I think I'd still stick with at least 4 hours. That's just a guess though, and I'm excited to see what happens with your experiment.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
stella1979 said:
Hmm, I don't love either option a whole lot. Like any plant, chaeto needs light to grow and the growth is what we're after for nutrient reduction. How much light is the question I suppose. I keep a 24w plant light on over mine for 8 hours every night and honestly feel it's a bit excessive, but I think I'd still stick with at least 4 hours. That's just a guess though, and I'm excited to see what happens with your experiment.
If it doesn't work out using the window I happen to have a spare AI Prime HD (Lucky, I know) that I can mount on the tank so that it is giving the chaeto the light it needs to grow for me. I have a crappy micmol light overhead of the tank itself that I plan to swap for 26 hydras so If i use it i'll link it to them.
We'll see what I end up doing.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
stella1979 said:
Also I noticed that you are the only person replying to my thread posts lol.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sadly, we don't have a lot of big tank keepers here. There's a few great ones, but they aren't around quite as much... and perhaps I'm the only crazy one here that 'watches' all the salty forums, lol.

@Culprit would probably love this one, but yeah, busy, busy times with back to school and all.

For myself, I'm too excited to see your adventures at Reef Stock! Please do bring a little Aussie reef show love to Fishlore!

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yup, school, sports, all kinds of stuff gets a bit overwhelming this type of year lol. I do still try to get on and check around at least once a day. 2 hours of direct sunlight is a lot of light for not much time. I'd get a small cheap grow light ($10-20) on Amazon and let it grow. I think its a great idea though.

I'll take that AI Prime off your hands if you want lol. I'll trade ya a good grow light or a new Marsaqua black box

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Culprit said:
Yup, school, sports, all kinds of stuff gets a bit overwhelming this type of year lol. I do still try to get on and check around at least once a day. 2 hours of direct sunlight is a lot of light for not much time. I'd get a small cheap grow light ($10-20) on Amazon and let it grow. I think its a great idea though.

I'll take that AI Prime off your hands if you want lol. I'll trade ya a good grow light or a new Marsaqua black box
I'm In Australia so that may not be an option lol, I'm prob gonna keep it anyway to link up with some 26hydras on my 250. I want to have 2 250 on the edge and a prime in the middle.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
stella1979 said:
Sadly, we don't have a lot of big tank keepers here. There's a few great ones, but they aren't around quite as much... and perhaps I'm the only crazy one here that 'watches' all the salty forums, lol.

@Culprit would probably love this one, but yeah, busy, busy times with back to school and all.

For myself, I'm too excited to see your adventures at Reef Stock! Please do bring a little Aussie reef show love to Fishlore!
I plan to make a thread dedicated to all of the goodies at Reefstock Australia Its tomorrow and im so keen!!
There will be loads of pictures for sure and maybe even a reboot to my YT page??? *hint*

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Braydens Bettas said:
I plan to make a thread dedicated to all of the goodies at Reefstock Australia Its tomorrow and im so keen!!
There will be loads of pictures for sure and maybe even a reboot to my YT page??? *hint*
I'll be watching for it! I've been a bit busy and just saw the above post... so now, yesterday is today, and you're at Reefstock!!! So excited for you!

I'm not sure I'll be able to find you on YT... kind of an old lady here, (not really, still under 40), soooo, I'd love to see whatever you upload! You can find me on YT with the same username, or, just post your handle here so we can all see it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom