• Yes, and I loved it!!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes, and it wasn't for me...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, diet schmiet.

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
Amnagrla
Has anyone here ever done weight watchers? Did it work for you?

I just signed up for the W.W. online to try and stay on track during the holidays ow ...

jsalemi
I did it indirectly -- my wife has done it for quite some time, and it's worked for her. Of course, when she's on it, it usually means I'm on it (at least at dinner ).

Amnagrla
I did it indirectly -- my wife has done it for quite some time, and it's worked for her. Of course, when she's on it, it usually means I'm on it (at least at dinner ).

haha yeah, that's how my boyfriend is. He's being really supportive. He came in saying he was hungry, asked how many points I had left for the day, and when I said 0, he said "Okay, we're not eating. Done!" I tell ya, I'm out of points, but he keeps gaining them!!

Tom
I think that it is just a money scheme and should stay away from it. I am perfectly happy with my weight as it is.
Tom

COBettaCouple
no.. I can watch my weight all on my own. it's not hard, it's always where I am.

Chief_waterchanger
I agree that it is a money scheme, but so is the majority of things in this world.

It basically comes down to:

A) Do I have the self-discipline to control how many calories go into my body versus how many calories I burn each and every day.

OR

B) Would I rather pay someone (in this case a business) to be a little crutch for me, an extra support beam, if you will.

I personally have not tried that service, but I hope it works for you. I do not look down on the service in any way. They fill a niche in society.

(Lets face it, there are a lot of things we would love to have the money to pay someone to do for us, if we could.)

capekate
HI Amnagria

My daughter used the WW method of counting points and gave me the books and chart after I saw the weight come off her. I think that it really works and it worked for me as well. If you stick to the points you do really loose weight.
And for a quick fix... especially at the holidays, its the way to go IMO. ;D

~ kate

jsalemi
B) Would I rather pay someone (in this case a business) to be a little crutch for me, an extra support beam, if you will.

I personally have not tried that service, but I hope it works for you. I do not look down on the service in any way. They fill a niche in society.

Yup -- that's true of all of them. Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutra System, etc, etc -- they're all really support groups to help give you the discipline you otherwise can't muster on your own to lose weight. Different ones work for different folks, as with anything else in life.

nmwierman1977
My father was on nutrisystem years ago( when I was a child). He lost the weight, but as soon as he lost the weight he wanted to lose he no longer needed the company and he ended up gaining all that weight back because he didn't continue to watch his calories. They are good to lose weight, but the fact is you're not going to be on that food for the rest of the your life. The whole point of joining those companies is to learn how to maintain your food intake and learn how to watch how many calories you take in. If you can't do that on your own when the time comes to leave the diet plan then you'll gain all that weight back and you joined the company for nothing.

My husband wants to go back to his old weight. He thought about joining nutrisystem and in the end decided not to go through with it. You can lose weight w/o joining those diet plans. All you have to do is get a diet book with a chart and each time you write down how many calories you took in each day.My husband and I are going to do that. We need to find a good diet book that teaches you how to manage your calories and we're going to do it. We also joined a gym. Exercise is just as important too. If you can do both you'll get your body in shape in no time. However, if you don't eat the right amount of calories your body needs then the exercise won't help you a bit either. So you need both things to stay in shape.

Eating healthy is also a key thing. He and I recently started to try to eat a little bit more healthier. I started to buy frozen vegetables rather then the canned vegetables. I went out and bought a steamer and I steam them now. We also bought a George Foreman Grill. Can I tell you how much I love that grill. It's the greatest thing ever and it knocks out all the greasy fat.

So, with everything that I've said joining those diet plans is fine, but if you don't learn what they try to teach you then it won't work for you and you'll gain all that weight back. I hope it does work for you and I hope you do learn from it. If you do then that's great. Good luck!! Natalie

Amnagrla
hmm, I have to say I'm a little surprised at people's comments. I'm going to say to open my comment, I took no offense to any of them... however, you do have to look at it this way...
Someone posts a message, saying they ALREADY signed up, not merely just thinking about it, but already paid the money, and is seemingly happy about it... and the majority of people come on and say that it's a waste and that it's a crutch and you should be able to have the willpower to do it yourself...

I consider myself a strong person and I am not going to let multiple people's comments who, I know, weren't ment in a bad way, however they came off.. to bother me.

Do I agree that all of the health systems are overpriced? Sure. I'm paying $16 a month for this... and I'm not even getting anything other than the online aspects. I pay that amount a month so I can have an effective tool of keeping a health journal that helps me count my calories. Yes, I can do it with a piece of paper and a pen and count my calories myself.. which I've done til now. I have all the books and I know all the theories.. watch calories, watch carbs, watch sugars, portion size, stay low sodium... I understand. This just makes it easy.

I agree that the people that put weight on AFTER they use these programs didn't seem to get the true message out of it... how to eat effectively healthy, learning the lessons.

In a way, W.W.Online is like Fishlore.com. Is this a crutch? Are people expected to go out and buy all the books and self-confidence to make decisions alone? Instead we all come on here to look for answers, look for support, look for someone to make a decision for us, and to look for people with the same interests as us. W.W.O. brings people together as much as this does.

I don't know.. I'm not mad, not even really offended.. I just think that the majority of people when posting don't realize how something can come across online... and maybe to be supportive instead?

nmwierman1977
I hope that my message didn't upset you. I was only giving what I know about the programs through my dads experience with them. My dad I don't think learned from them otherwise he wouldn't have gained the weight back. Of course now that he's 60, had a quadruple bypass surgery last winter, he is much healthier and is very careful about what he eats now. It's just sad that it had to get to that point for him to wake up and realize what he was doing wrong and the whole time thinking he was healthy and eating well. This is why my husband and I are **** bent on starting to eat healthier and exercise more. Thirty years from now I don't want to be in a hospital bed having a quadruple bypass surgery like my dad. My dad was literally a ticking time bomb waiting to go off at any moment and he had no idea until he went to see his family Doctor for a routine check up.

I think the programs are great support for someone wanting to lose weight. I wasn't at all trying to imply that they weren't. You are right though. We all come on here to get support and there are times that people whether it's on purpose or not don't sound too supportive and sound more vindictive instead even if they don't mean too. I hope that I didn't sound that way. I apologise if I did.

I of course support you in this decision. When someone does something like this that can effect there lives it's very important to get all the support you can get, whether it's through friends, family, or even sites like fishlore.com. Natalie

Amnagrla
Thank you. I wasn't singling out any one person. And I suppose I felt it was less about me and more about what I've observed on this forum over the past year. On the whole, people are very supportive, no matter what the topic, however, there ARE times where, like you said, where it just doesn't come off very well. I was more just trying to make a point that as a whole we should all be more careful. ;D

voiceless_kat
Amnagria -- here's my philosophy - screw 'em......if something works for you, it's good. Your business.

Having said that, now I feel like I have to apologize for sounding like a witch! LOL

I say " You Go Girl!"

Good Luck!!!

( Ok, now I'm going for my "crutch" a nice glass of wine! )

Chief_waterchanger
I understand your trying to make a point, so on that same line of thought I will explain what I said a bit more.

The word crutch means you use something as support. A support group or support program online are both forms of support. Every single person on this planet has a crutch of some sort, and it is not a negative thing.

But I agree with Val, if you don't like someone's answer say bugger on them and enjoy yourself anyway.

And Fishlore is a community and sort of a support group. We encourage one another when we can about their fishkeeping and advise people as to how to do so properly, etc. Those things are indicative of a support group, which again the word crutch means support so yes, Fishlore is, in a sense, a support group of fishkeepers. I think the only people that would take offense (and I'm glad Amnagria didn't take offense) would be the ones who didn't take the time to think out what everyone was saying.

There'll always be people who do not agree with something, or who like to show the pros and cons and not just give a rubber stamp or tell someone what they would like to hear, but those are your real friends. (none of us truely want friends that would agree with us all the time. )

Anyway, I just wanted to explain that yes, Fishlore is a support group of sorts, and support groups aren't bad.

COBettaCouple
I gotta say Amanda, you don't look like you need it but I hope that it accomplishes what you want.

voiceless_kat
I understand your trying to make a point, so on that same line of thought I will explain what I said a bit more.

The word crutch means you use something as support. A support group or support program online are both forms of support. Every single person on this planet has a crutch of some sort, and it is not a negative thing.

But I agree with Val, if you don't like someone's answer say bugger on them and enjoy yourself anyway.

And Fishlore is a community and sort of a support group. We encourage one another when we can about their fishkeeping and advise people as to how to do so properly, etc. Those things are indicative of a support group, which again the word crutch means support so yes, Fishlore is, in a sense, a support group of fishkeepers. I think the only people that would take offense (and I'm glad Amnagria didn't take offense) would be the ones who didn't take the time to think out what everyone was saying.

There'll always be people who do not agree with something, or who like to show the pros and cons and not just give a rubber stamp or tell someone what they would like to hear, but those are your real friends. (none of us truely want friends that would agree with us all the time. )

Anyway, I just wanted to explain that yes, Fishlore is a support group of sorts, and support groups aren't bad.

I am a gooooooooooood witch....

Amnagrla
I gotta say Amanda, you don't look like you need it but I hope that it accomplishes what you want.

lol thanks. I guess I'm doing it so as not to "need" it later....

COBettaCouple
ok, just try not to eat to many turduckins.

lol thanks. I guess I'm doing it so as not to "need" it later....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views
Cichlidnut
Replies
Views
Junne
Replies
Views