Weeping Mulberry Leaves?

Rhyu

Hello guys!

I've read in some places that the shrimp like mulberry leaves as something to supplement their diet with (still feeding shrimp specific food). Does anyone have experience with this?

I have a large Weeping Mulberry tree in the yard, currently no leaves as its just early spring, but to those who've used them before, would a weeping one's leaves also be okay? I can't find specific variety information, just "Mulberry" leaves.

Thanks!

richiep

Dose it fruit like blackberry

Rhyu

richiep said:
Dose it fruit like blackberry
Not heavily, but it gets a few.

richiep

OK where do you get the name weeping as we in the uk don't have a classification of weeping mulbury
Just don't want to give wrong advise

Rhyu

richiep said:
OK where do you get the name weeping as we in the uk don't have a classification of weeping mulbury
Just don't want to give wrong advise

Mulberry.jpg

Maybe not the most optimal image, only random one I have of the tree from last year. This one is called a weeping because the branches grow towards the ground (have to keep trimming them from going into the dirt), rather than a regular more upright bushy one.

richiep

Right I've found it, its native to China yours is the fruit is sweet like ours and the leaves used for silkworms,
The fruit is edible just like our Roman version (delicious) the leaves are the best shrimp leaf you can get, harvest in the fall or just before and I place them inbetweem paper towel and leave for a few months to dry out, then add as you please, I also make my own shrimp food with them

Rhyu

richiep said:
Right I've found it, its native to China yours is the fruit is sweet like ours and the leaves used for silkworms,
The fruit is edible just like our Roman version (delicious) the leaves are the best shrimp leaf you can get, harvest in the fall or just before and I place them inbetweem paper towel and leave for a few months to dry out, then add as you please, I also make my own shrimp food with them
Thank you for taking the time to answer! I really appreciate it. Just to make sure, do you think my variety is still okay to try out?

richiep

Definitely, I have two types one as big leaves which is the Roman type the other is an ornamental Bush and the leaves are only an inch or so, the fruit is the same on both trees,
Here's a picture of leaves I have in storage

Rhyu

richiep said:
Definitely, I have two types one as big leaves which is the Roman type the other is an ornamental Bush and the leaves are only an inch or so, the fruit is the same on both trees,
Here's a picture of leaves I have in storage
Awesome, thank you! Those look just like the ones on the tree too. We have some Kale that overwintered in the garden, but the shrimp didn't seem to interested in that.

richiep

Persevere with Kale make sure its cooked well so it's soft then add for a few hrs,

Rhyu

richiep said:
Persevere with Kale make sure its cooked well so it's soft then add for a few hrs,
Thank you, I'll try blanching it more!

richiep

Don't blanch kale boil for 20 minutes or the shrimp won't tear it apart this is why they leave it

Rhyu

richiep said:
Don't blanch kale boil for 20 minutes or the shrimp won't tear it apart this is why they leave it
Oh okay, good to know. Makes sense, it's pretty tough,

Latest threads

Top Bottom