Weekly Water Changes?

1. shooter78 Initiate Member

ok. So I'm new to fish tanks and I've done some research on weekly water changes and I just wanted to tell you guys my plan and make sure it's ok if you don't mind, I'm scared I'll do a water change and my little fish with die :( I've got a ten gallon so I would replace 2.5 gallons of it weekly, right?

-I would first take out 2.5 gallons of the water and dump it
    -I would then take out and clean any plants or objects that are covered in sludge.
    -I don't have a gravel vacuum, so I would just put the plants back
    -lastly I would put 2.5 gallons of new clean water back in the tank

Is that ok??? I'm just paranoid :((

2. ChuthuluFish Member Member

It depends on you're stocking. Example
    3 endlers would only need 1 gallon. Well three guppys would need a 2.5 gallon water change. So what's it stalked. If you're cycling you may need even more water changes.

3. shooter78 Initiate Member

I just have a betta fish. I read online you should cycle 25% each week so idk

4. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds like a fine way to a water change to me, just don't forget to add a dechorinator such as prime with the new water. Water changes shouldn't kill your fish as long as your source of water and the water in the tank have the same parameters. Also try to match up the new water's temp with the water in your tank as best as you can.
    I personally recomend at least once a week water changes just because new water replenishes the minerals in your tank's water. That being said sometimes one needs to do more then once a week depending on how the parameters are looking and stock of tank. If the tank is overstocked then one may need to do daily water changes. If nitrates grow more quickly then may need to do twice a week.

5. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

You are way over thinking the weekly water change... don't worry- water changes are the best thing to do for your fish!
    Do you have an API master water test kit? Test your ph coming out of the tap and set aside a cup of tap water and test it 24 hours later. Is the difference within a margin of .04?
    If it is more than .04 will need to age water before doing your weekly water change (just put in a plastic holding bin for 24-48 hours so it can "gas off") before adding to tank.
    Or, if within this margin, simply de-chlorinate with a product like Seachem Prime, try to match water within 2 degrees, and add to tank.
    Pretty soon this water changing thing will be like, you know, brushing your teeth :)

6. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

I have a crowntail betta and I just added a nerite snail to my 10 gallon tank. I do 40% water changes once a week. I occasionally a smaller 25-35% one mid week. I like doing the one bigger water change. Keeps the nitrates lowered and Frazier seems happy with it afterwards.

7. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I had a 3 gallon Betta tank and did two 50 percents weekly. I would also recommend plants. Pothos is a great semi aquatic plant.