Wedding centerpieces I need your help.

1. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I am very newly engaged (st. pattys day) and I've been debating ideas on pretty centerpieces for my wedding. The wedding isn't for over a year but I kind of want to get an idea of what I want soon as my fiance is getting deployed and I want to include him as much as possible in the planning.

As of now I'm debating the idea of fish in my center pieces. All of the fish would obviously have homes with me or other approved people BEFORE I did it. I won't get them without knowing they have a safe filtered heated tank to go home to.

I've been thinking about doing something like this......

Three vases at each table, One tall skinny one with just flowers (unsure of type currently), one medium maybe square? With maybe some blue glass rocks and a cherry blossom branch in the water with a betta and then a couple floating candles. Then I want a smaller vase with more flowers and such. I think I want the expensive GORGEOUS half moon bettas. I'm thinking about them all being solid red (much easier to get) or maybe all white or a darker navy color. My colors will be navy and yellow. I'm aiming for most of my flowers to be white.

Thoughts?

Ever see any fish wedding ideas that you've liked? I've considered doing seahorses some how but I don't think it'll work well for me.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My sister has decided to do bettas as centerpieces for her tables, with marbles and LED lights shining up from them. Strangely enough, she's not into fish keeping. She's put me in charge of making it happen.

3. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I think that's what she envisions too, and what I would like to make. I'm not worrying about it until they set a date.

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

When one of my friends got married, rather than have a huge cake and many centerpieces, there was a smaller two layer cake on the wedding party's table, and matching little mini cakes on all the other tables. Then a few candles and flowers to decorate around the cake plates.

Keep in mind that guests usualy take the centerpieces home. I have been argueing with a guy I work with for months about his betta( ok more like gently pushing), that is in a vase, he insists its ok because the fish came in a vase, from a wedding. more than likly you will not be there for clean up after the recption, it is your wedding day after all.

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I will have my mom and mother in law make sure they all come home to me :p

7. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

How big is your wedding going to be? You could easily end up with 15 or 20 new bettas if not more! Congrads btw!

8. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Fish, or live animals of any kind, should not be used as wedding centerpieces. Period. End of story. Don't make me find out where you live. :;fru

9. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats!

With proper planning I think it could be done but it would be alot of planning and ensuring it could all work with backup plans.

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Congrats on your engagment!

I don't want to be a downer but if I went to a wedding where bettas were the center peice it would be the only thing on my mind for the whole reception, worrying about those poor fish.
    Honestly, I don't think I'd be able to enjoy myself for the conern of it all.

They could get knocked over. Someone might think it's a good idea to 'feed' the fish something that could hurt them.

WE know that YOU know how to care for fish but unless everyone had a cycled tank at home and the knowlege to care for fish before hand it's really not a good idea.

11. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

An alternive could be to set the vases up exatcly like you planed, but instead of a betta, float a single flower head in it.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Good idea Lexi.

e_watson, if your heart is set on the bettas, maybe just a couple on the head table to set yours apart from the guests.

(are you listening Jaysee? ;D)

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's nothing I didn't expect to hear.

14. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

How about some lovely lava lamps...... :cool:

15. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Okay let me rephrase this.

ALL of my friends and family know I'm a fish nut. They know I have many tanks and take great care of ALL of my fish and other animals for that matter. So if you went to a wedding that you know the fish would be cared for after would you still be that concerned about it?

There will be floating candles and I know my friends and family have enough common sense not to try to put anything in when there are candles.

Outside those two reasons what is the big reasoning for being so against it? I understand the idiots who do it and just give the fish away in bowls after but I will ensure they have a home in a heated and filtered tank.

16. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Fish, or live animals of any kind, should not be used as wedding centerpieces. Period. End of story. Don't make me find out where you live. :;fru

17. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I can read, I saw that post above. My question is WHY. I mean that's just like I can say the sky is purple and when someone asks why I just restate that the sky is purple......

18. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You were trying to justify, and asked if it "still" mattered, so I just reiterated my thoughts.

Ok, here's my more in-depth thoughts. If you do it, and we do know you are a responsible fishkeeper, you may plant the seed in the minds of 5 people at your wedding who are somehow involved in planning other weddings. Word of mouth spreads fast. Many people won't look beyond "oh, wouldn't that be pretty". You could be the catalyst for disaster.

In my opinion, you are also stressing the fish out. They will spend the day in an uncycled, unfiltered, unheated vase. They will be subjected to poking, prodding, vases possibly being knocked over, children's wandering hands in the vase, etc. If that's not an invitation for ich or other disease, I don't know what is.

This is not exactly a win-win situation for the fish.

That's why I don't think it's responsible or necessary.

19. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

This was my question asking what other reason I didn't say anything about it still mattering. I asked what OTHER reasons.

People planning weddings google pictures of other wedding centerpieces for ideas. This is where I saw the fish and liked it. So in the end it doesn't matter if they see it at my wedding if you google wedding centerpieces or unique wedding centerpieces you will find atleast one with a fish (usually goldfish). So just because I do it doesn't mean that others will because of me they could already have that idea.

What about when you buy fish and have them shipped? They are in a uncycled, sometimes unheated, and unfiltered bag. It will be a summer outdoor wedding so its not like it will be cold out. Yes the vase could be knocked over which is why I plan on a bigger vase so its heavier.

I do see your point but I think you're going overboard about it. I think the fish would go through more stress shipping than spending a night in a bowl. The little pet store cup bettas seem to live just fine and go through the same risk as the ones I am talking about only the ones I would have would only be there for a single night.

20. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

You asked for opinions. I gave you my opinoin. If you're not really open to hearing honest opinions, then you probably shouldn't ask for them.

Usually, when someone comes back with a whole lot of "justification" like you did in your last response to me, it means their mind is pretty much set and they're just asking for the sake of asking.

I am very happy for you about your engagement and wish you well. Good luck with your wedding.