Weather

Do you think weather affects the way your fish act even though they are not out in it?

• No they ignore it completely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What do you mean?

• Sometimes I think they might.

• I do not know.

• I hadn't thought about it.

• Don't know, don't care.

• Yeah it really makes them act different when we have storms.

• You are just being a fussy old mommy.

• Total voters

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We are having a horrible storm here for the third day in a row and supposed to have a full week ahead of severe weather. The river that runs right through the center of our town is already out of its banks and flooding is happening in the areas along it basically cutting the town into two pieces. Half of the fire department, police department, and rescue units have been moved to the other side of town and anyone needing hospitalization will have to be taken to a hospital 28 miles away as they will not be able to get across the river to the hospital here. Usually they would be taken across the river by the National Guard but our National Guard is in Iraq so there will be no ferry service for the doctors and nurses who work on the other side of the river. This is going to be a real problem for the town but hopefully our pioneer spirits will win out and we will get through this.

The subject at hand though is whether your fish react to storms? My little ones have refused to eat for a couple of days now and I do not know if they are upset because of the weather or getting sick and it has had me worried. I am a little jumpy with the lightning and all but I did not think about it affecting them until Friday night when they would not come to the top to eat and then Saturday morning when we had the worst storm they did not come up either. Have any of you had similar experiences or do I need to turn them all into q tanks and begin to worry about them.

Rose

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When ever we have a storm here, my fish do what my late dog always did, that was go and hide under something strong and able to cover it fully. My fish always go and hide when ever it storms here.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think that sometimes they do OR sometimes they show that it does. Maybe due to some fish being more sensitive to weather. Plus, animals of many species have shown an awareness of the weather than the weather channel would love to have so wouldn't it make sense that the inhabitants of 75% of the planet surface would?

Our Betta Super Mario would build bubble nests the night before a rainstorm everytime we had one. Our Platys seem to get nervous and skittish when bad weather is near.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Animals in gereral are nature's barometers....Fish will hunker down if they sense severe weather. In the wild they will head for some sort of structure to hide in and around and ride out the storm. Dogs and cats will tend to hide or suddenly become shy or aloof.

My fish tend to hide during summer storms, though the orinary rainy day doesn't seem to bother them. Sudden barometric pressure changes makes them act a little strange.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i would have to agree with you vin the pressure sure does make the difference. I can tell rain three days away thank to my old golf injury.
Just kidding. Mojo

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Right now we are having very strong winds and the neons always hide in the plants when we get strong winds.

Gwenz

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i hadnt thought about it til now to be honest! i've only had fish since january and we've not had any extreme weather yet. our thunder storms come in about july. it makes sense though that the change in atmospheric pressure would affect them. i always get really bad headaches just before a storm (no seriously i do!! - as wierd as that sounds!) when the pressure is low. so it makes perfect sense to me that it can affect fish! i'll let you know when we get storms!
tan

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose, has your home flooded? I used to live in Port Jervis NY, and know that many of the small towns in that part of the country are centered around small stream or river that in times of rain can flood.

We have been watching the weather for the lower 48 and see the devastation in the mid section of the country. The count of little tragedies are never tallied, like when you have fish you love and the electricity goes out for 4 or 5 days till things return to 'normal', you can lose your friends....... :'(

So Rose, hope this finds you and all our other forum friends healthy and dry??? Well ..........

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine and My Mother's did not as we live on the highest point of town but we took a drive down by the area where the streets were closed and there were many who will not be able to go back to their homes for quite some time and houses that will simply have to be torn down. My nephew's home is in the flood plain and he has a basement full of water and will have to completely pump the water out but at the moment it would do no good as the ground water is so deep that it would simply go right back into the house. Our parks (both located at the river's edge) look like lakes and my friend who has a daughter whose wedding rehearsal dinner is at the cabin at one of the parks is having heart palpatations over not knowing if the park will be dry enough by then. The bridges that serve the major (Federal) highways from the south and from the west were both overrun with water and closed and doctors and nurses working in facilities on the other side of the river could not get in to work. I itched to go to work and replace one of the nurses as I live just down the street from the hospital, but I am not able to do it anymore.

But it is as I said in an earlier post elsewhere. With all the things that have happened here, Greenburg, KS and places in IA, OK, TX and other states had bad tornadoes. The one that hit Greenburg, KS was 1,8 miles across on the ground when it hit the town and wiped out the town. At last count 98% of the town was gone and there are still people that they are searching for. The hospital roof collapsed and the school was torn up. The center of town is rubble and there are no homes not damaged. I watched the television as one couple went to the ruins of their home and could only salvage two small pictures. The sheep that were found were so covered with mud that you could not tell what they were and they looked around like they were in shock. So we here have so much to be thankful for and we pray daily and send best wishes and love to those who have things so much worse than we do.

Rose

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It seems like no mater where you live life happens. :'( When my folks moved here from OK, they were looking for farm land, with a stream going through, and a hill to build the house on. We have all of those things, so when it does flood we are 50 feet above the high water line! There are no tornadoes, hurricanes, or tropical storms, just cold in the winter, and an occasional earthquake (never a bad one here where we live).

I am glad your home isn't impacted at the moment. Summer will soon be here, and the rain will dry up. Hopefully the crops won't be affected beyond hope.

We are also planning a wedding, one of my daughters is getting married May 26th. Just put in an order for flowers. This will be the third wedding I have done all the flower work, I would enjoy adding it to my list of things to do for a living! But with the cost of the flowers, I don't know if I would make $. My other daughter is doing the cake, so she has been making purple/blue roses for the last 3 days! Lovely, I hope the color of rose I ordered looks similar! So life does go on, and I am sure even where you live those folks planning that wedding will work everything out, and it will, in 30 years, just be part of what special memories they have.

Have a great day.

Land of the Midnight Sun 8) 8:33 pm and the Sun is shinning through our north windows, we are up to around 17 hours of daylight now!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's really crazy.. one part of the country you've got too much rain and heavy flooding, another part of the country you have so many fires that the air is smoky and leaves ash on your car and that was just when the fires were in the next state, now there are more just north of us. It makes me realize I haven't updated our "If a cat5 hurricane is heading straight towards us" evacuation plan since we've gotten fish.

I'm glad your home is alright Rose and hope that the flooding will subside soon there and allow your area to clean up and get things 'normal'. I heard the found survivors yesterday in greenburg, so i pray there are more found today.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
tan.b said:
i hadnt thought about it til now to be honest! i've only had fish since january and we've not had any extreme weather yet. our thunder storms come in about july. it makes sense though that the change in atmospheric pressure would affect them. i always get really bad headaches just before a storm (no seriously i do!! - as wierd as that sounds!) when the pressure is low. so it makes perfect sense to me that it can affect fish! i'll let you know when we get storms!
tan
Tan, getting headaches prior to a storm is not wierd...You probably suffer from what I and millions of others suffer from - weather related migraines. Migraine headaches have all sorts of triggers and one of them is weather. I can tell you when a big storm is coming just by the amount of pressure I feel in my head.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
vin said:
Tan,  getting headaches prior to a storm is not wierd...You probably suffer from what I and millions of others suffer from - weather related migraines. Migraine headaches have all sorts of triggers and one of them is weather. I can tell you when a big storm is coming just by the amount of pressure I feel in my head.
thank goodness for that! no-one usually believes me and thinks i'm crackers! i only know of my mum who gets them too (weather headaches). there is a family history of migraines which i thought i'd escaped, but recently (since october) have i had full on migraines (visual disturbances, tingling in legs, sickness, cant drink, cant walk, cant move etc, laid up in bed in pitch black for 3 days) so i guess it all links up. anyway i'm rambling off topic (again!), but good to know i'm not completely insane!!!! thanks vin!!

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
tan.b said:
vin said:
Tan,  getting headaches prior to a storm is not weird...You probably suffer from what I and millions of others suffer from - weather related migraines. Migraine headaches have all sorts of triggers and one of them is weather. I can tell you when a big storm is coming just by the amount of pressure I feel in my head.
thank goodness for that! no-one usually believes me and thinks i'm crackers! i only know of my mum who gets them too (weather headaches). there is a family history of migraines which i thought i'd escaped, but recently (since october) have i had full on migraines (visual disturbances, tingling in legs, sickness, cant drink, cant walk, cant move etc, laid up in bed in pitch black for 3 days) so i guess it all links up. anyway i'm rambling off topic (again!), but good to know i'm not completely insane!!!! thanks vin!! 
No, you're not insane at all. I recommend seeing a doctor about them. I take a tablet at the onset of a migraine and the pain is not nearly as bad nor does it last as long. But I do also get those real headbangers that knock you down for the day. Prolonged headaches that last more than several hours are not good. Here's a great informational page from the Mayo Clinic.....Check it out.....It's not worth suffering from the pain. https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/DS00120

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
wow! that link described me perfectly! i've only had 3 whoppers (in bed for 3 days and feeling hungover for another 2 days after that). one of them i was in a&e after nhs direct wanted to send an ambulance out to me after being in bed for 2 days and still no better with a stiff neck and light intollerant. over xmas too! that link also mentioned the weather headaches. i'm so chuffed they are documented as being real and not co-incidence like everyone tells me! when i saw my doc she suggested co-codamol as soon as i get any headache or signs. which i do, but any signs of the sickness that comes with migraine and a dislike of tea (which i usually drink all the time! - i dont understand the dislike of tea, but it happens ???) i take 2 migraleve. i've not any migraines since. now that could be the early taking of the drugs or just that i had a blip (hormanal, stress or whatever?) and i dont get them anymore. as the migraines are so bad i darent not take the drugs on the onset of a suspected migraine to find out if it develops into a full blown whopper! by the time i'm sick and in pain i cant describe i know its a migraine...by then its too late as i cant keep any drugs down! why it took til i was 28 to get the whoppers i dont know! as i said maybe it was a blip? who knows!

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't start getting my headaches until my late 20s early 30s. My grandmother (paternal) and my Dad used to get them. My dad doesn't get them as much anymore and Grams is not with us anymore. But they used to get doozies as do my two cousins - both female.....I take what's called Maxalt-MLT. It's a meltaway tablet that you take at the onset....And BOY does that work...Not 100% but it's certainly better than going through the whole thing with no relief....But having said that, there's nothing like a dark room with TOTAL QUIET!!! As a fellow sufferer, I feel for you!!!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
no room is ever dark enough is it?! i shut the blinds the curtains AND hide under a pillow and still wince with pain as there's a glimmer of light still! your experience sounds exactly the same as me! my mum and paternal grandmother and my sister get them, so def heriditary and i was migraine free til last yr . so far seem to be controlling them, so thats something! wouldnt wish them on my worst enemy! hope yours are under control too. i've heard about those melting tabs....if i get any more probs i'll give them a go! good to know there;s plenty out there for me to try if the co-codamol/migraleve fails me!
tan

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom