weather loaches and snails?

1. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

Can I keep mystery snails with weather loaches?

Yes, I know weather loaches eat small pest snails. In fact, they have totally eradicated pond snail infestations in two of my tanks (bummer for me; i love those little water softening cleaners).

However, my question is, what about mystery snails? Are these snails large enough that weather loaches can't eat them? Or will they just be lunch?

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

In my house, we never use that word, (loach). It is forbidden. lol

Even if the mystery was much larger than the loaches, I would still worry about them pecking at them. I personally would not risk it. Plus, mysteries really prefer tropical temperatures, and, assuming this is with your goldies, I'd also say no since they are not recomended with snails either (but I have no personal experience with this, while perhaps you do).

HTH ;)

3. wisecrackerz Well Known Member Member

I was only going with the goldies because RA said that he kept the mysteries with full grown koi, and it worked out. Also... I cheat on the temp with my cold water fish. I like to keep them right around 70-74 (it gets COLD at night). My sailfin needs the warmer temps, and I find that it perks everybody up quite a bit. However, these are petsmart dojos, and so they were used to high temps and over crowding before I got them, so I can't say that all weather loaches would be so forgiving, temperature wise.

And the weater loaches will be much bigger than the mystery snails (8" vs like 1" lol), so maybe I'll just wait until I can upgrade my sparkling gourami to a 12G, and then give him some pretty snaily friends.

also... hum. my goldfish frequently have trouble with the gravel in their tank; that's why their new tank is going to have sand. but if they TRIED to eat a mystery snail... especially a little one... yeesh. that could go really bad for both of them; i don't know that i could pull a snail out. UGH! I need my snaily fix!

4. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Lol.
    I could definitely see a goldy trying to eat a snail - but hopefully they would be big enough to not be able to swallow them.

8" weather loaches! Whoo! Yeah, I wouldn't try it. lol

I think the snails would be most happy in your sparkling gourami tank. :)

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My dojos never paid the mystery snails any attention. The goldfish never paid them any either. Same goes for MTS. The goldfish will suck them up while foraging, but spit them out.

6. ladygoodwrench Member Member

I have 2 weather loaches, 2 golden mystery snails, and 3 ghost shrimp all in one tank, and no problems... but I think I am fortunate...

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had also kept a nerite with the dojos and they didn't care about that either.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Never had any problems with my dojos and my snails.
    Carol

9. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Ah well there you go. I guess it's worth a try then :)

10. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

;D The only loach I know eats mystery snails are Clown Loaches! It's very interested that other people's dojo and weather loaches haven't eaten their snails. I'll have to do some more research into this topic!

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Dojos are weather loaches. They aren't snail hunters like the botia loaches are. I put a nerite in with the zebra loaches and they were all over it in seconds flat.

12. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Oops! My mistake lol. Thanks for letting me know haha. I'm not so much into loaches so I have very little knowledge on them. I used to keep Yo-yo loaches with large Mystery Snails back in India. They seemed alright. I didn't have any dead snails at least ;D