Weather Loach Help??!

NatashaHodnett

Hey all, so I am relatively new to fish keeping and I need some help!! I was recently looking around at a local fish shop when I found this little dude that I fell in love with (he is a weather loach named noodle). I asked the owner a bunch of questions about him and if he could co Hab with my other fish in my 30 gallon tank. I’ve since read that loaches need much larger enclosures. (Lesson learned, do your own research)

When I purchased him I was under the impression he needed a 10 gallon tank (wayyy off) but I’ve since become quite attached to my little man, he even eats food out of my hand :,) he’s still
Quite a small dude but I do NOT want to have him in a tank that’s too small... what tank size would I need? I don’t have much space as I still live at home but I only want what’s best for my little guy. I would absolutely hate to re-home him but if I can’t get him a big enough tank than it’s what may have to happen

I think the biggest tank I could fit would be a 50??

I have a 30 gallon long with heater (temp around 75-80) filter, sponge filter, bubbler and a light fixture. I use sand as substrate since I have a lot of bottom dwellers!

My tank is currently home to...

- Male betta fish (Nemo)
- Weather Loach (Noodle)
- 1 green Cory’s and 2 pepper Cory’s
- 2 shrimp
- 3 snails
- 4 KuhlI Loaches
- 2 guppies
- dwarf aquatic frog
- yo-yo loach

Thanks everyone for your input!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 135

Momgoose56

You really need a bigger tank than a 30 for your loach. A 55 gallon tank would be about perfect. Preferably about 46 inches long and as wide as possible. I think those weather loaches are awesome! Love the name you gave him, it fits!

SuperD14

Weather loaches actually live in cold water, I kept one in my pond over the summer and it only got to around 16 degrees Celsius

NatashaHodnett

You really need a bigger tank than a 30 for your loach. A 55 gallon tank would be about perfect. Preferably about 46 inches long and as wide as possible. I think those weather loaches are awesome! Love the name you gave him, it fits!
Ah okay thanks!! There’s a 70 gallon on the local classifieds right now that would fit in my room, it’s 36 (L) x 18 (W) x 25 (H) would this be okay or is it too small length wise?

Drakon

I don’t know much about the loach, but your tank is straight up gorgeous!!!!

Coptapia

Weather loach can grow to 10-12”. SeriouslyFish recommends a minimum of 48”x18” (height is irrelevant). This is about right. And cool water, no warmer than the lower 70s. They’ll tolerate tropical temps (up to high 70s) but this isn’t good for them long term.

If you want to do right by your other fish... both your Cory species need to be in groups of 6+

Momgoose56

Ah okay thanks!! There’s a 70 gallon on the local classifieds right now that would fit in my room, it’s 36 (L) x 18 (W) x 25 (H) would this be okay or is it too small length wise?
That tank has about the same "footprint" as a 55 gallon tank and would probably be okay.
But I must confess, if I were getting a 75 gallon tank specifically for a large bottom dweller I would get a tank with more "floor space" and less height.

Michael.j.gomez

Hey all, so I am relatively new to fish keeping and I need some help!! I was recently looking around at a local fish shop when I found this little dude that I fell in love with (he is a weather loach named noodle). I asked the owner a bunch of questions about him and if he could co Hab with my other fish in my 30 gallon tank. I’ve since read that loaches need much larger enclosures. (Lesson learned, do your own research)

When I purchased him I was under the impression he needed a 10 gallon tank (wayyy off) but I’ve since become quite attached to my little man, he even eats food out of my hand :,) he’s still
Quite a small dude but I do NOT want to have him in a tank that’s too small... what tank size would I need? I don’t have much space as I still live at home but I only want what’s best for my little guy. I would absolutely hate to re-home him but if I can’t get him a big enough tank than it’s what may have to happen

I think the biggest tank I could fit would be a 50??

I have a 30 gallon long with heater (temp around 75-80) filter, sponge filter, bubbler and a light fixture. I use sand as substrate since I have a lot of bottom dwellers!

My tank is currently home to...

- Male betta fish (Nemo)
- Weather Loach (Noodle)
- 1 green Cory’s and 2 pepper Cory’s
- 2 shrimp
- 3 snails
- 4 KuhlI Loaches
- 2 guppies
- dwarf aquatic frog
- yo-yo loach

Thanks everyone for your input!
Hello, a dojo loach(weather loach) is a cold water fish(62°-74°). Can live 8-10yrs. If kept in tropical temps(76°-82°) it will shorten lifespan by half!!!!! I keep mine in 55gal(30gal min)w/3×fancy goldfish & 1×female bn pleco at 72°(min temp for pleco). Hope this helps!
20190326_173107.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Plecodreams
Replies
Views
girlwithahorse
Replies
Views
James17
Replies