Question wear gloves when cleaning the tank?

tetragirl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No I just rinse my hands in warm water first to make sure clean but no soap.

I wash my hands after

Soswozere

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No I never do. But I've seen some horrible pictures of some unfortunate fish-keeper's hands when they have contracted bacterial infections from the bacteria in the tank water including salmonella.
It is advisable to wear gloves if you have a cut or wound on your skin, or avoid the tank water until it heals, especially if your immune system isn't the best.
Here's a link to an article on this site which explains the dangers

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/DiseasesTransmittedToHumans.htm

B

Borisbbadd

I have a pair of them, and I tried them once, but I did'nt like them. I couldn't feel what I was doing.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have several disposable nitrile gloves that work great (can write while wearing them) but I don't ever use them with the tank.

aquari-girl

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have never used gloves, even if I have some sort of wound on my hand/arm I just make sure I wash my hands before and after.

Aj17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope, I never have. I just wash my arms in the sink afterward:anim_40:

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Only when working with my saltwater tank, but that's mainly because of the bristle/fire worms. I got one stuck to a finger ONCE and that was all it took. In my freshwater tanks, I don't see the need to.

bowcrazy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only time I put on gloves is when I think I might have something on my hands that don't need to get into my tank. Oh yes I always wash my hands in hot water before I play with my tanks and I wash them again with soap and water when I am done. But if I have been doing something like working on my Harley and have gotten oil on my hands that plain hot water will not wash off I put on gloves to protect my fish from me not me from the fish.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Never. I wash my hands before and especially after working on tanks. I'm usually doing a water change anyways, so I wash many times during too. I scrap myself often, but getting better at this. I've even bleed in my tank and worried more about the fish. LOL With anything, wash with soap and water and germs will be fine. (I have a very strong immune system) I did wear medical gloves once when my tank had ich, just in case.

backflipfronflip

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Never,just realized that I should have tonight as I have a cut on my finger.

Nothing new for me to have cuts full of dirt,sand or grass clippings though so I guess I have a good immune system.

Brainlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never, just wash my hands, and arms if I am going to go deeper in the tank with warm water and a little drop of soap... I rinse really well, and wash my hand and arms after wards. I have a good immune system so don't worry much.

variablenonsense

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Never. Usually don't wash beforehand, but I have a tendency to keep my hands very clean anyway. Usually just rinse off after mucking around in the tank.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I never wear gloves either, although I do have these on hand just in case I ever have a bad cut. I don't use them because I can't feel anything and whatever they are made from, doesn't smell very nice.

The gloves were free during a monthly special.

Ken

New Threads