weak return pump

dlaub64

So I just found out my 127gph return pump does not have enough power to return water through a (between a quarter and half inch I beleive) tube, up about 3 and a half feet.

if I can convert that tube to an eighth inch airline tube, would that work to take some of the pressure off, or will I just burn out my motor? Generally speaking of course.

soldieroffortune1974

If you decrease the tube diameter,it will increase the pressure,giving it a higher lift. The problem is the GPH rating is at 0 FT,as you increase the height,the GPH goes down.At 3.5 FT it would have a more realistic GPH of maybe 40GPH or less.I would get a larger pump. You would need about 210-250GPH as a minimum.

dlaub64

well its only for a 10 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump...its not even a saltwater tank, I just thought this would be a more stuitable section to post this question in. IM not worried about a low gph, as long as my over flow will work....I just don't want to burn out my motor.

Also this sump isn't neccesarily that important, I just want to put my spare powerhead to some use.

soldieroffortune1974

I don't blame you for wanting to put your spare powerhead to work.Not a bad idea at all. Is there any way you can put the sump closer,so it doesn't have as far to push the water? maybe lifting it up another 12 inches might help.

If it's a standard powerhead with a airtube inlet for aeration,you could plug off the outlet end and use a 3/8 tube fitted over the air inlet.It will re-route the flow to the smaller hole,giving you a little more pressure.

dlaub64

LOL...I laughed so hard when I saw the the second part...its soo simple...yet soo genious!! I didnt get what you were talking about at first, then it just snapped.

Thatll make it a lot easier then finding an airline tube size converter but Ill probally have to silicone the airtube into the aeration inlet, that newly added pressure will probally just blow the tube out otherwise.

Ill give it a shot tommorow and let ya know how it works.

also, and moving the sump up further isn't really an option.

soldieroffortune1974

dlaub64 said:
LOL...I laughed so hard when I saw the the second part...its soo simple...yet soo genious!! I didnt get what you were talking about at first, then it just snapped.

Thatll make it a lot easier then finding an airline tube size converter but Ill probally have to silicone the airtube into the aeration inlet, that newly added pressure will probally just blow the tube out otherwise.

It is really simple,that's why it works. Instead of going INSIDE the outlet,you want a 3/8 inside diameter tubing that fits OVER the little lip.It will fit over the hole perfectly.A little silicone and it will stay put,with little pressure on the hose.Silicone will also plug the regular outlet hole,just fill it really well and smear it on the outside like a "cap" once it dries,it will make a solid seal.(and easy to remove later if you want to use it for something else)

au01st

I would just get another pump, they aren't that expensive.

travie

Old thread, but I figure it is worth a mention. If you do get a new pump, do not get one rated for more gph then what the overflow is rated for gph.

au01st

Haha, my overflow is rated at 800gph, and my new Mag 9.5 is rated at 950gph (with no head. Stick a ball valve on the pump and it's fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom