Weak Guppies

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Blanca R, Apr 12, 2018.

1. B

Blanca R New Member Member

Hello everyone, so I'm new to all of this. This Forum thing that is. I have been in the hobby now for about 3 years and started out with tetras. I have had Pelcos as well as Cory Catfish but up until this year started dealing with Guppies. I have had a few losses and I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or if its where I've been purchasing from. While;e starting up my new ten gallon I kept the guppies with my Tetras Glofish. The tetras have killed a few so guppies have been rehomed now that my 10 gallons is cycled. During this rehoming, I have had 1 die already and I can tell 2 more are showing stress the tank does have salt which I diluted out a little more after the first death today. I really really love guppies can I please get advise on either a better place to purchase or helpful tips to keeping them.

Nitrites-0
    Nitrates-15 ppm
    Soft
    KH-40
    PH -Neutral
    Temp- 79 Degrees

2. OP
    OP
    B

3. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Mmm... Guppies don't do well in salt so don't add any more in and the salt will be diluted to a trace over the course of your natural water changes.

How many guppies in there? Are they in a m:f ratio of 1:2/3 or all one gender?

4. OP
    OP
    B

they are all male guppies I haven't decided if i want females in there as of yet just because of how fast they reproduce plus id have to outnumber the males as you stated

5. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

Guppies don't do well in soft water. They sometimes also have problems even in hard water if it is lacking in certain minerals (magnesium). How did you acclimate them? And did you quarantine them?

Actually, guppies can survive or even thrive in saltwater if properly acclimated. The main problem with salt is with the other fishes which may not tolerate it so it's advisable to stop it.

6. OP
    OP
    B

i floated them for about 15 minutes then netted them and transferred them I have been doing extra research and realize my water may be way to soft. I plan to rescape the tank probably so I can make it harder and try and perfect the tank before I get any more. I did not quarintine this recent batch. Most sickness came after I took them away from the Tetras who I saw nipping at them.

any suggestions on how to make my water harder? or what would work best with guppies? I really want them to be happy and get it right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  7. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

Do you have a GH test kit? First thing is to determine how soft/hard your water. Guppies require a minimum dGH of 8~9 (143ppm). You can safely & slowly raise the GH by adding some pieces of coral in the tank or in the filter. This will also the raise the ph & KH up to some degree.

8. OP
    OP
    B

Sorry for the late reply I did just buy a Gh test strip and the ph came up as 6 with pretty much like a 0ppm gh I dont quite recall the kh. I did a water change today and added crushed coral into my filter. The guppies didn't seem to get to stressed out so far. I added about a cup of crushed coral in a mesh rinsed it and put it in. I made friends with a guy at the LFS who's been pretty good on helping me but still let me know if you think I'll need to put less or more.

Thank you for all this helpful advise. I did some more research and am not seeing why my Tetras done so well in softer water in comparison to the guppies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice