We sprung a leak on our 5 gallon hex!

TheEssigs
we sprung a leak on our 5hex!

This is the second 5hex we had that developed the same problem.
The original sprung a leak early, within the first few hours, so we returned it for a new one and chalked it up as a fluke... but low and behold, 6 months later the new one too, sprung a leak in the exact same place... must be a design flaw or something. Right in the center of the bottom, where they must finish the pour on the acrylic... develops a hair line stress crack that slow leaks.

anyway - the company has a two year warranty that allows you, with proof of purchase, get a replacement or an equiv. So we chose a 5 gallon, but not a hex... hopefully it will get here soon.

Dino
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Least it is not as bad as my last leaker.

I had a 75 let loose about a foot of silicone along the front bottom 4 years ago this Christmas. While I was sick with the flu.

Chief_waterchanger
Sorry to hear of your troubles. You are a much nicer person than I, I would've plastered the brand name all over the post..

TheEssigs
ugh... that's gotta s**k... (kinda makes me feel a little better tho)

It bothers me more that I have to recycle the new tank, more than the tank itself crashing... and, the residents can't be too happy in the temp tank either... so, the manufacturer better get that tank here soon.

Chief_waterchanger
Make sure to use some used filter media to speed up the cycle, or decorations from a cycled tank even. Or substrate in a bag, unless you want the same substrate in the new tank.

TheEssigs
I am gald it was a slow leaker... it would have been really bad if I had a floor full of water (especially since its on the second floor) and 3 dead residents...

TheEssigs
CW, yea, I plan on using the bio-wheel from a compatible tank that is already cycled.

Chief_waterchanger
and 3 dead residents...

For a moment I was like... Is she a mortician. (Then I realized you mean residents of the tank. )

Dino
More to my old leaker story.

We found out that it was leaking by my then 3 year old cousin running into the house from the porch where the tank was at, yelling, "It's raining, it's raining , come see!!"

TheEssigs
That's too cute...

My 2 year old keeps telling me that she dosent like the "black" tank... (the hex was all girlie with pink flowers and stuff, and the temp tank is basically black and green...) try explaining to a 2 year old that its only temporary and she will have her pink tank back soon...

Chief_waterchanger
Tell her it is like a butterfly, ugly at first then pretty pretty pink later. (assuming she likes butterflies)

Dino
Tell her it is like a butterfly, ugly at first then PRETTY PRETTY PINK later. (assuming she likes butterflies)

Promises to hold that over his head for a LONG LONG time.

TheEssigs
I have to get some new pink stuff... the hex was taller and was able to accomodate the pink bloosom bonsaI tree, the new tank is shorter and it won't fit... so, its off to the LFS...

which again, brings me back to my original thought....

COBettaCouple
weird how it did that. we have 2 5 gallon hex tanks that have been ok. I guess they're different brands.

TheEssigs
I wish you luck with yours CO...I would not want that to happen to anybody. Its a very popular name brand ... at least they have a great warranty and good customer service... I do believe we have the same tanks, but, it can also be that the shipment was damaged somehow as we got both tanks from the same store.

COBettaCouple
yea, maybe they had a batch of material that wasn't up to spec or a problem with a run of tanks.

TheEssigs
Well, the new tank came in a few days ago, and we have it up and running... hopefully this one will not leak. I put back in the original rock, which since has been cleaned and dried... but I did use the old filter media and bio-wheel.

Hope all three residents like it. I am sure they prefer the larger 5 gallon than the temp 2 gallon they were in while waiting for the new tank to arrive, hopefully all will go well in the upcoming weeks.

Drea
Whacha got in that tank? Did you already tell and I missed it????

TheEssigs
Drea
That's cool. I have 3 small tanks, not in use right now. I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a betta and put him in a 2.5 hex, or a 5 gallon tall, or 6.5 long. (+ 20 gallon tall, and 5 gallon bow front/corner)
I really want another betta, to keep in my kitchen. I had my last betta for only 3 years. It's hard to have them, you get so attached. Plus the more MTS I develop, the harder to find home for the fishies, if we move next year.

COBettaCouple
Glad the new tank got there & hope you'll have no trouble at all with this one.

Top Bottom