We Like Raggedy Tails | Page 2

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AtlasApollo98, Jun 25, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    AtlasApollo98

AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

That’s what I’ve read, but I’ve heard such mixed reviews I’ve just been doing half the dose in order to help them heal. I certainly haven’t been trying to hurt them but I think I may need to lay off the meds.

I’ve tried daily water changes and most things I could get my hands on but with it being so close to getting to his actual body I resorted to the meds in order to hopefully stop it.

I’m sorry to hear about your goldfish, it’s heartbreaking and believe me, that’s a feeling I’ve felt before. My mom put some medicine in with my first betta and he seized and passed within a few hours in the quarantine tank. Overmedicating is what I was worried about with the jungle medication. Today they got a 30% water change and I put the carbon back in the filter. I may give them a break from the meds for now. I do feed pellets and soak them prior to feeding any of my boys.

I’ll up the water changes and my filter is baffled but I think it still may be too strong even on the lowest setting and with the baffle. I may have to move him to quarantine. My only issue there is I’m currently quarantining a new betta who has been in that tank for about 2 weeks now and is due to come out of quarantine but his new home hasn’t finished cycling yet. Plus that filter can be a bit strong as well. I’ll see if I can’t baffle it better when I get home. Thank you everyone for your advice.

2. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Illness is definitely frustrating, and especially so when you've informed yourself and are doing your very best... which I can see is the case here.

Just to put it more plainly, in my research into VitaChem, I saw several reports from fishkeepers saying that they thank this product for finally stopping fin rot AND quickening the fin healing process. So, in my fear of such an occurrence, I used it from day 1. When Sam (my old betta) came home and went into his forever home, his tail got a couple of tears in it... not rot, and there was nothing that should have torn his tail in the tank. I think it happened due to the stress of a move but regardless of what caused it, I was so very worried things would get worse. Thankfully, they didn't, and those tears healed up in just a couple of months. I can only thank proper water quality, the diet, and the vitamins for that so... I too became a believer in VitaChem and now use it with the guppies that currently occupy what I will always think of as Sam's tank. Sam was my only betta ever, his loss despite the best care I could give him was gutwrenching, and though I think I offered stellar care... this is only one experience, so I won't claim to know what's best. Anyhow, the experience made me a real fan of fish vitamins and I even started using a different product (Selcon) to offer vitamins to my salty fish. This is just one person's experience but I can tell you care deeply for your fish and are trying your very hardest to do what's best. I was/am the same and vitamins are part of my own protocol.;)

Good luck! One way or another, these boys are living their best life because they are with you!

3. OP
    OP
    AtlasApollo98

AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much, I will be purchasing some vitachem as soon as I am able. Today I did a 50% water change just because there was still a lot of green coloring in the water from the jungle fungus clear but I am probably going to be keeping up with that for a while in hopes that the water changes each day and a good diet with a completely baffled filter will help my boy get better. I also read that increasing the temp could help but I didn’t want to increase too much since it constantly sits at 79 degrees Fahrenheit so we just went up 1 notch to 81 or 82. If they start to get stressed I’ll take it back down though.