We Like Raggedy Tails - Page 2

OP
AtlasApollo98

AtlasApollo98

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dch48 said:
Melafix should never be used on Bettas. It can cause problems with their labyrinth organ which is what they use to take in air from the surface.
That’s what I’ve read, but I’ve heard such mixed reviews I’ve just been doing half the dose in order to help them heal. I certainly haven’t been trying to hurt them but I think I may need to lay off the meds.

MiniPop said:
I would agree with Stella about being careful with meds. You could always give him a week of break from meds before starting another treatment. Just keep up on daily water changes.

Kanaplex is a strong medication and when overdosed or used for too long could cause kidney damage.

With my betta, I tried all the non-med methods over a month (daily water change, almond leaf, frozen foods, Vitachem, Fish Protector) and his fin rot only worsened. Only then did I resort to meds.
I’ve tried daily water changes and most things I could get my hands on but with it being so close to getting to his actual body I resorted to the meds in order to hopefully stop it.

stella1979 said:
HI I'm not a doctor, lol... nor an expert on bettas but I have seen the effects of overmedicating a fish before, and I fear that could happen here. If I were in your shoes, I would stop all meds and get some fresh carbon in the filter.

I have not experienced fin rot (luckily) but have seen some of the best betta keepers I know say over and over again... pristine water and a very healthy diet is the best treatment for fin rot. What do we mean by pristine? Usually, small daily water changes, which is fairly easy on betta tanks since they're small.

When I had a betta, he ate betta pellets by NLS, betta flakes, frozen mysis shrimp, frozen bloodworms, dried daphnia, and bug bites by Fluval. Also, he'd eat a deshelled pea when he was young, so got that once a week for a time, but stopped eating them all together about 6 months in. All dried foods except for flakes were soaked in a fishy vitamin called VitaChem. When I say soak, I mean a good long soak. Pellets, in particular, are very hard and should soak for about 15 minutes. All foods other than the pellets and mysis shrimp were seen as treats which he got only a couple of times per week.

Before getting said betta, I was already a member here and feared things like bloat and fin rot so badly. VitaChem was recommended and in my own research on the product, I found many betta keepers reporting faster healing times and better overall health. Unfortunately, betta genetics aren't great, my boy got a tumor, and lived less than 2 years... but while I had him, there was never an issue with digestion or rot. I thank the varied diet and vitamins, as well as keeping to a strict weekly water change schedule for that.

In bad cases, such as you may be experiencing with one of your boys, medication can help but I think your boys need some med-free time. Kanaplex is a fairly strong antibiotic and I too have used it, but I once was advised that it's rough enough on fish that it shouldn't be used twice inside a 6-month window. So, again, not a doc, but I have overmedicated and barely saved a fish in the past, and through that experience, was cautioned to take care with meds. (This was a 6 yr. old goldfish, who barely survived and lived for nearly two more years, but his sharp decline and death was very sudden and totally heartbreaking. I do believe I shortened his life by overmedicating. )
I’m sorry to hear about your goldfish, it’s heartbreaking and believe me, that’s a feeling I’ve felt before. My mom put some medicine in with my first betta and he seized and passed within a few hours in the quarantine tank. Overmedicating is what I was worried about with the jungle medication. Today they got a 30% water change and I put the carbon back in the filter. I may give them a break from the meds for now. I do feed pellets and soak them prior to feeding any of my boys.

MiniPop said:
I can't really tell ya as I have never used Melafix for betta fin rot before. I would try increasing water changes to help with fin growth. Do daily water changes or at least every couple days. Also make sure the current in the tank isn't too strong. Water flow slows down fin growth for bettas and some will even shut off their filter to help regrow fins. But I wouldn't shut it off and mess up your cycle. I'd just make sure the current isn't strong.

Edit: not only would the water changes help fin growth, it also reduces bacteria in the water which should help with fin rot.
I’ll up the water changes and my filter is baffled but I think it still may be too strong even on the lowest setting and with the baffle. I may have to move him to quarantine. My only issue there is I’m currently quarantining a new betta who has been in that tank for about 2 weeks now and is due to come out of quarantine but his new home hasn’t finished cycling yet. Plus that filter can be a bit strong as well. I’ll see if I can’t baffle it better when I get home. Thank you everyone for your advice.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Illness is definitely frustrating, and especially so when you've informed yourself and are doing your very best... which I can see is the case here.

Just to put it more plainly, in my research into VitaChem, I saw several reports from fishkeepers saying that they thank this product for finally stopping fin rot AND quickening the fin healing process. So, in my fear of such an occurrence, I used it from day 1. When Sam (my old betta) came home and went into his forever home, his tail got a couple of tears in it... not rot, and there was nothing that should have torn his tail in the tank. I think it happened due to the stress of a move but regardless of what caused it, I was so very worried things would get worse. Thankfully, they didn't, and those tears healed up in just a couple of months. I can only thank proper water quality, the diet, and the vitamins for that so... I too became a believer in VitaChem and now use it with the guppies that currently occupy what I will always think of as Sam's tank. Sam was my only betta ever, his loss despite the best care I could give him was gutwrenching, and though I think I offered stellar care... this is only one experience, so I won't claI'm to know what's best. Anyhow, the experience made me a real fan of fish vitamins and I even started using a different product (Selcon) to offer vitamins to my salty fish. This is just one person's experience but I can tell you care deeply for your fish and are trying your very hardest to do what's best. I was/am the same and vitamins are part of my own protocol.

Good luck! One way or another, these boys are living their best life because they are with you!

OP
AtlasApollo98

AtlasApollo98

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stella1979 said:
Illness is definitely frustrating, and especially so when you've informed yourself and are doing your very best... which I can see is the case here.

Just to put it more plainly, in my research into VitaChem, I saw several reports from fishkeepers saying that they thank this product for finally stopping fin rot AND quickening the fin healing process. So, in my fear of such an occurrence, I used it from day 1. When Sam (my old betta) came home and went into his forever home, his tail got a couple of tears in it... not rot, and there was nothing that should have torn his tail in the tank. I think it happened due to the stress of a move but regardless of what caused it, I was so very worried things would get worse. Thankfully, they didn't, and those tears healed up in just a couple of months. I can only thank proper water quality, the diet, and the vitamins for that so... I too became a believer in VitaChem and now use it with the guppies that currently occupy what I will always think of as Sam's tank. Sam was my only betta ever, his loss despite the best care I could give him was gutwrenching, and though I think I offered stellar care... this is only one experience, so I won't claI'm to know what's best. Anyhow, the experience made me a real fan of fish vitamins and I even started using a different product (Selcon) to offer vitamins to my salty fish. This is just one person's experience but I can tell you care deeply for your fish and are trying your very hardest to do what's best. I was/am the same and vitamins are part of my own protocol.

Good luck! One way or another, these boys are living their best life because they are with you!
Thank you so much, I will be purchasing some vitachem as soon as I am able. Today I did a 50% water change just because there was still a lot of green coloring in the water from the jungle fungus clear but I am probably going to be keeping up with that for a while in hopes that the water changes each day and a good diet with a completely baffled filter will help my boy get better. I also read that increasing the temp could help but I didn’t want to increase too much since it constantly sits at 79 degrees Fahrenheit so we just went up 1 notch to 81 or 82. If they start to get stressed I’ll take it back down though.

New Threads