1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

We Like Raggedy Tails

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AtlasApollo98, Jun 25, 2019.

1. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Hello,

I have a 10 gallon divided betta tank with two half moon males. I’m not sure what is going on with their tails, they’re 3 days off of a melafix treatment (7 days at half the recommended dose) and I saw what looked like some new fin growth at one point but now I’m not sure. I’m more worried about the regular half moon than I am the dumbo since his tail is the worse. It is believed that he got sucked into the filter intake prior to my putting a sponge on.

Water temp is 79 degrees Fahrenheit, tank is filtered and cycled, don’t know anything about the parameters ( my kit hasn’t made it to me yet) other than the pet store said they were “ideal for betta”. It’s only the fish in the tank, no other animals. I did a water change a few days ago, probably close to 50% since they were coming off the melafix and siphoned the gravel. I’ve seen no weird activity from them, they are eating fine (1 pellet twice a day for 6 days with a fast day 1 day a week). I just don’t want there to be any problems with these guys. All of their plants are silk and their decor has passed the panty hose test. Any help is greatly appreciated, the big split in the mauve colored ones tail was like that when I got him, I’ve had them both about a month now and I know I shouldn’t expect to wake up and everyone’s tail be magically healed but I don’t know how long the process is and whether or not they even have anything. I’m sure that the maybe one has a probability of having fin rot.

Attached Files:

2. BrendenValued MemberMember

Well just from experience and looking at the brown one in the top left's picture, it certainly has signs of fin rot. Had it with my betta too.

Best guess is there is something off with the water. Once the kit gets to you I'd run a test to see where everything is, and then handle each issue individually. If the nitrates are high, there are steps you can take to reduce it. If the ammonia is high, there are things you can do. So on, so on.

Good news is that you're monitoring it, and I never personally had a fish die from fin rot. It does ruin the beautiful flowing fin of the Betta, and in some cases that tail never comes back to how it once looked, but it won't kill your fish as long as you address the issue before the disease dwindles down to the Betta's body, which can kill it.

I have had a Betta with fin rot, it honestly sucks to see such a beautiful fish catch something like that, however I do believe your fish will be just fine once taken care of :)

3. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you, should I continue with the melafix treatment until then?

4. BrendenValued MemberMember

I would, can't see that hurting them tbh.

5. Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Melafix has been widely discussed as to whether it's safe for bettas: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...e-regarding-labyrinth-fish-and-melafix.75644/

Be careful with dosing if you choose to use it. Personally I would keep that water pristine, perhaps add an indian almond leaf if you can get some, and keep the stress down. Longer fins have poorer bloodflow. Make sure there is no current for them to struggle against - put a bit of sponge across your filter output if needed. Their fins can sometimes shred themselves fighting against current, (think of a flag in high wind) and the constant mini-injuries do not go well when trying to heal previous ones. Just some thoughts. Good luck!

6. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you, decided to do some extra research and found lots of people recommend Jungle Fungus Clear so that’s what I’ve tried now. They seem to be doing fine with the treatment so far but I will be upping their water changes once they are done with this treatment (possibly with a second) and hopefully that will help. The current is strong on the filter, I have it turned to the lowest setting possible and have it baffled with a plastic water bottle that I cut and lined with sponge so that there are no possible ways that the edges can be caught.

7. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Hello to anyone following this, the boys have just come off a treatment with the Jungle fungus clear and the dumbo, Atlas, has no black on his fins at all. It was more of a precautionary measure than anything with him. My other half moon, Apollo, seems to have less necrotic tissue but I’m not entirely sure. I’ve attached a picture of him that was taken today if anyone cares to chime in on whether or not he looks better. I know there is still some necrotic tissue but I’m going according to the box and I have to wait 4 days before dropping another tab in the water.

Attached Files:

8. potterValued MemberMember

Honestly 1 pellet twice a day isn't enough for your betta. I know a lot of people thought that by not overfeeding your betta, bloat won't happen but underfeeding your fish over a period of time is just as bad for your fish too. Ideally, you should feed other foods as well such as frozen mysis shrimp, bloodwork, etc... they should have a little tummy(not too big of a tummy) when done feeding.1 pellet is really not sufficient plus you fast them for a day as well.

9. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you,

I was doing 2 pellets twice a day but they got bloated a bit so I was told I was over feeding. I’m in the process of ordering some bloodworms and daphnia for them as well but I have no clue as to what the appropriate amount to feed is. Frankly I’m terrified that they’re going to die since my last betta passed away a few weeks ago of unknown causes and I don’t particularly want to go through that again. Any advice is helpful, it’s been a long time since I’ve had betta and only got back into keeping them in September of last year.

10. potterValued MemberMember

I'm going to PM you some pictures from a link. Personally I like to rotate with frozen foods. I'm not sure why but pellets are not what I prefer. I remember when I grew up in SEA and had bettas growing up, we feed them insects everyday but of course having no winter there we get unlimited supply of insects year round and my bettas never had bloat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  11. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you for the pictures, I’ve never really had any issues with bloat until recently. My last betta, who passed a few weeks ago didn’t get bloated until he was close to dying which is why I think he probably has dropsy because he was beginning to pinecone. Right now I’m primarily worried about the fin rot but I know a proper diet will help them to maintain a strong immune system. I used to feed 2-3 pellets twice a day and my previous betta did fine, I may go back to that but alter it whenever I get the new foods in that I can rotate into their schedule.

12. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Hello,

I’m not sure if anyone is keeping up with this or not anymore but I could use some advice. I’ve treated both of my boys in my 10 gallon divided with jungle fungus clear and have maxed out on the treatment as I just finished with 3 of them. My dumbo is showing new fin growth while my regular HM still has a pretty rough looking tail. It looks much better than before but there is still necrotic tissue and I’m worried that if I wait to do another treatment it’ll get worse but I don’t want to stress the fish anymore than I already have. Here are some updated images of him, I apologize for the low quality.

722ED555-C680-4A2A-9EDF-67468C7050C6.jpeg19A1BCE0-BDC4-4993-B7CE-01B5587F8D0A.jpegE229713C-C1FC-4B1C-BC79-2DED3419CA34.jpegB8D33694-AE09-413D-87D5-C93ED0D869CA.jpeg

13. MiniPopValued MemberMember

Hi there. I had good results combining Kanaplex with Jungle Fungus Clear along with 50% water changes daily. I treated for a week. Here is the before and after (the after is a few weeks after as it took a while for the new tissue to grow back):
    DSC06378.JPGDSC06591.JPG

14. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you for replying, I have done 3 treatments of jungle fungus clear according to the directions on the packaging and then since today was my 30% water change to get it out of there I put some melafix in the tank. Only 1/2 the dose for a 10 gallon so as to not mess with the fish too much. I can’t find any Kanaplex locally so I’d have to either order it or go out of town.

15. MiniPopValued MemberMember

You're welcome! Amazon has it if you need to order online.
    I tried JFC by itself too which didn't work and only saw improvement after adding Kanaplex.
    Also what I did differently was 50% water change every day while medicating and adding back the amount of meds taken out each time. Not sure if that made any difference but I thought the fresh water daily would help with regrowth.

16. AtlasApollo98Valued MemberMember

Thank you, I’ll see if I can order some kanaplex at some point. Currently I’m waiting on a paycheck. Do you think the melafix may help for the time being? He’s made significant strides since the beginning of this. I think he had fin rot when I got him and it’s just gotten worse over time. The necrotic tissue towards the middle of his tail just won’t go away. Is there something else I can do to help until I can get the kanaplex?

17. MiniPopValued MemberMember

I can't really tell ya as I have never used Melafix for betta fin rot before. I would try increasing water changes to help with fin growth. Do daily water changes or at least every couple days. Also make sure the current in the tank isn't too strong. Water flow slows down fin growth for bettas and some will even shut off their filter to help regrow fins. But I wouldn't shut it off and mess up your cycle. I'd just make sure the current isn't strong.

Edit: not only would the water changes help fin growth, it also reduces bacteria in the water which should help with fin rot.

18. stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Hi :) I'm not a doctor, lol... nor an expert on bettas but I have seen the effects of overmedicating a fish before, and I fear that could happen here. If I were in your shoes, I would stop all meds and get some fresh carbon in the filter.

I have not experienced fin rot (luckily) but have seen some of the best betta keepers I know say over and over again... pristine water and a very healthy diet is the best treatment for fin rot. What do we mean by pristine? Usually, small daily water changes, which is fairly easy on betta tanks since they're small.

When I had a betta, he ate betta pellets by NLS, betta flakes, frozen mysis shrimp, frozen bloodworms, dried daphnia, and bug bites by Fluval. Also, he'd eat a deshelled pea when he was young, so got that once a week for a time, but stopped eating them all together about 6 months in. All dried foods except for flakes were soaked in a fishy vitamin called VitaChem. When I say soak, I mean a good long soak. Pellets, in particular, are very hard and should soak for about 15 minutes. All foods other than the pellets and mysis shrimp were seen as treats which he got only a couple of times per week.

Before getting said betta, I was already a member here and feared things like bloat and fin rot so badly. VitaChem was recommended and in my own research on the product, I found many betta keepers reporting faster healing times and better overall health. Unfortunately, betta genetics aren't great, my boy got a tumor, and lived less than 2 years... but while I had him, there was never an issue with digestion or rot. I thank the varied diet and vitamins, as well as keeping to a strict weekly water change schedule for that.

In bad cases, such as you may be experiencing with one of your boys, medication can help but I think your boys need some med-free time. Kanaplex is a fairly strong antibiotic and I too have used it, but I once was advised that it's rough enough on fish that it shouldn't be used twice inside a 6-month window. So, again, not a doc, but I have overmedicated and barely saved a fish in the past, and through that experience, was cautioned to take care with meds. (This was a 6 yr. old goldfish, who barely survived and lived for nearly two more years, but his sharp decline and death was very sudden and totally heartbreaking. I do believe I shortened his life by overmedicating.:( )

19. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

Melafix should never be used on Bettas. It can cause problems with their labyrinth organ which is what they use to take in air from the surface.

20. MiniPopValued MemberMember

I would agree with Stella about being careful with meds. You could always give him a week of break from meds before starting another treatment. Just keep up on daily water changes.

Kanaplex is a strong medication and when overdosed or used for too long could cause kidney damage.

With my betta, I tried all the non-med methods over a month (daily water change, almond leaf, frozen foods, Vitachem, Fish Protector) and his fin rot only worsened. Only then did I resort to meds.