Help We Know Our Pets (finrot)

Joanbeez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
92B7D860-C109-4C79-A378-88EB7145A42B.jpeg
Ammonia is at 0 nitrites 0 nitrate is at 5 after 50% WC temperature is 80 degrees.

so I’ve been scouring the internet and still am too indesicive on what to do. It all started two days ago when I woke up to entertain my betta fish Nox when I noticed his tail was MORE frayed than the previous night. I’ve been asking my family members if they see it and have been feeling crazy because they say no! Well I decided NOT to over react and start pumping his tank with salt or emptying it because that’s how I started a mini cycle in my first tank. Also I did NOT add salt considering I have my ADF jariya in there, and decided to wait another night. Well I woke up and it’s more shredded and a whole chunk is gone. He is STILL showing no symptoms. He’s very active and begging for food. I just did a 50% WC and used some stress zyme +
The only logical reason I can think of is he probably had a lowered immune system from refusing to eat anything except brine shrimp the first week (after starving himself a couple of days before that because he didn’t like any pellets, although these past few days he’s been eating anything I put in there because he sees the dwarf eating so he figures it must be worth eating)
What should I do? Do I take the ADF out and put him back to tank #1 with the mollies?
My quarantine tank is currently being used by my male molly and two mystery snails who were being super bullied and abused by the two females In the Molly crüe tank.
Should I start doing aquarium salt baths? Is it too soon? Today marks number 4 since I first started seeing the weirdness with his tail. But it progressed very quickly. I’m panicking on the inside. HELP.

TarielBlu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta also has that problem. I'm thinking it's tail nipping and not fin fot considering it's been a few months and it hasn't gotten worse. Keeping the water clean is top priority right now. It doesn't look like fin rot to me.

Joanbeez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My betta also has that problem. I'm thinking it's tail nipping and not fin fot considering it's been a few months and it hasn't gotten worse. Keeping the water clean is top priority right now. It doesn't look like fin rot to me.
Is there any way to catch them in action? I feel this urge to just spy on him... I would scold him so bad he would never do it again seeing the pain and worry it’s causing me.

Kjeldsen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your water sounds perfect. Not sure but I've seen SO many posts about fins and dropsy even when kept in ideal conditions that I have to wonder if bettas aren't being juiced with hormones and antibiotics on a massive scale in Singapore, or where ever they come from. Similar to what they've done to the common rams, ensuring they look colorful and healthy just long enough to sell, but once in the home aquarium quickly deteriorating..

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your water sounds perfect. Not sure but I've seen SO many posts about fins and dropsy even when kept in ideal conditions that I have to wonder if bettas aren't being juiced with hormones and antibiotics on a massive scale in Singapore, or where ever they come from. Similar to what they've done to the common rams, ensuring they look colorful and healthy just long enough to sell, but once in the home aquarium quickly deteriorating..
good conspiracy theory, I have had 0 luck with bettas
it will probably help to put more plants in... I know bettas feel more secure when they are not always out in the open.
what is your filter intake like? that could possibly be ripping the tail too

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i think he's biting too. i have the same kind of betta and his tail is chomped to bits no matter what i do.

Joanbeez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
So definitely going to add more plants might have to wait until the weekend, unless I get some more plastic ones at the dollar store tonight. This is what his tank looks like right now.
image.jpg
My adf was feeling photogenic

Joanbeez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
good conspiracy theory, I have had 0 luck with bettas
it will probably help to put more plants in... I know bettas feel more secure when they are not always out in the open.
what is your filter intake like? that could possibly be ripping the tail too
I modify my filters with a bit extra sponge so they won’t be sucking up the fins and little frog hands ); will add another hidey hole alon g with the temporary plastic plants I’m scared tomorrow I’ll wale up and it will just be a stump left...

TarielBlu

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is there any way to catch them in action? I feel this urge to just spy on him... I would scold him so bad he would never do it again seeing the pain and worry it’s causing me.
I haven't been able to catch my betta in the act. I don't think he'd stop because of a good scolding lol. Maybe you could add some new decorations for him to explore. Maybe switch out some plants or add some caves.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Apparently not. I've googled 'betta tail biting' and couldn't find a single picture of this phenomenon as it's happening.
my betta does it at night while i'm asleep. maybe he misses me and doesn't sleep? lol. i have seen him accidentally bite his tail once. he was turning around to get some food and bit his tail instead of the food. it really surprised him because he jerked and i watched as the tiny piece of tail fell down :'(

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I would definitely advise some Indian almond leaves to start. They have a antiseptic affect and will discourage any infection from starting. And they are soothing to betta. And would definitely get some silk plants, If you don't want to do real ones? But some tannins will help. He's beautiful. Good luck.

Joanbeez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
image.jpg
Here’s a lil pic of my very photogenic doods.
image.jpg
He’s done more nipping guys. Idk what to do. I’ve tried keeping him entertained but there’s only so much time I could sit in front of his tank lol. So I added some of the plastic plants but not before doing the panty hose test and then I used some toilet paper gladly nothing ripped. don’t worry it is only temporary! I rearranged the tank and have been doing daily water changes with the stress zyme and coat. I want to buy the almond leaves although I am a fan of clear water tbh. My adf is loving the new arrangement and the betta looks entertained but tonight is the first night so I guess I’ll see how he is in the morning and report if he’s gotten worse.

Joanbeez

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
74FAADD2-32C8-4BB7-AC62-3B82E46C5D9C.jpeg
14311252-5AA2-4D07-8209-E803A8A2FF22.jpeg

Guys I’m freaking out, should I still not treat for fin rot?!? I understand the ends of the tail would look discolored but could it be that it doesn’t look like finrot because he’s opal?! I need help

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
View attachment 557464 View attachment 557465
Guys I’m freaking out, should I still not treat for fin rot?!? I understand the ends of the tail would look discolored but could it be that it doesn’t look like finrot because he’s opal?! I need help
Yes, that is probably fin rot. I would go for an antibiotic. Petsmart carries some good antibiotics in powder form, but definitely go to a thread about treating finrot and do some research, I think that is what he has.
Herbal meds have always let me down, and I've lost some lil ones that way, so if you want to try those then keep that in mind.
best of luck, and try to be optimistic! You caught it pretty early it looks like, as long as he keeps eating he has a good chance. I got my boy through it, you can too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom